Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 458479 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #2175 on: October 26, 2012, 10:23:50 am »
Have you ever seen pigs fly? Well ours do! Our very
own flying pigs are bone in ham hocks that are so tender
it’ll blow your mind. They come in orders of four and with
your choice of hot sauce, honey mustard, Barbecue, or our very
own boozy sauce for dipping…$9.95
Wow, orders of four for $9.95?  They have to be much smaller than what I had in Germany.  One was a meal, with potatoes and rotkohl.

These are rather small, but they are very good, as is all the food there.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2176 on: October 26, 2012, 10:25:00 am »
Ron, we get these at Prost.  They are awesome, mild smoky flavor and very tender.  Next time you're over, we should stop by.  I hear they have doubled the beers they have avaialble on tap, too!  Sehr gut!

Fliegende Schweinchen

Have you ever seen pigs fly? Well ours do! Our very
own flying pigs are bone in ham hocks that are so tender
it’ll blow your mind. They come in orders of four and with
your choice of hot sauce, honey mustard, Barbecue, or our very
own boozy sauce for dipping…$9.95

Sounds like a plan! :)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2177 on: October 26, 2012, 10:28:39 am »
I'm not questioning quality and flavor, just wondering how they can be so different.  I would think that the larger ones would be more common, and four on a single plate means they must be really small.  Either they cut them differently here than in Germany, or they are getting them from piglets.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2178 on: October 26, 2012, 11:04:29 am »
I'm not questioning quality and flavor, just wondering how they can be so different.  I would think that the larger ones would be more common, and four on a single plate means they must be really small.  Either they cut them differently here than in Germany, or they are getting them from piglets.

Could be from piglets Tom, they are about the size of a lamb shank, only fatter.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2179 on: October 26, 2012, 11:11:20 am »

Could be from piglets Tom, they are about the size of a lamb shank, only fatter.

That's about the size we get them. The ones I see from Deutschland are huge! I don't think pigs are very old when they go to the slaughterhouse these days.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2180 on: October 26, 2012, 12:35:09 pm »

That's about the size we get them. The ones I see from Deutschland are huge! I don't think pigs are very old when they go to the slaughterhouse these days.

+1

My experience as well.
Ron Price

Offline chris in kc

• 1st Kit
BBQ Style
« Reply #2181 on: October 26, 2012, 05:42:37 pm »

So far I haven't replaced the gasket. Doesn't seem to affect the performance though I do notice a little convection escaping through the millimeter gap. I'm thinking of making my own instead of throwing $20 towards a new one.

Any ideas?
[/quote]

I fried my gasket on my primo oval XL ceramic grill and replaced it with a cotronics gasket. Head over to primo's forum and search gaskets and you'll find a thread and contact to buy them. They are used on army helicopters but work great and it will never fry.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2182 on: October 26, 2012, 06:25:15 pm »
Ah an idea!

Thanks I will investigate...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2183 on: October 26, 2012, 08:53:12 pm »
Redbeerman, you got a recipe how you cook these up I have a bunch and will be getting more soon. Ours are from a large black and tamworth cross (pigs you pigs). Outstanding pork no matter the cut.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2184 on: October 27, 2012, 01:15:20 pm »
Ah an idea!

Thanks I will investigate...

i read all the time that these rutland gaskets are the best.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2185 on: October 31, 2012, 10:23:32 am »
Redbeerman, you got a recipe how you cook these up I have a bunch and will be getting more soon. Ours are from a large black and tamworth cross (pigs you pigs). Outstanding pork no matter the cut.

Boulder, check with Euge.  I'll bet he's got one.  The one's we get at the restaurant are smoked, but I don't know what they are spiced with (tastes like salt, pepper and sugar).

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2186 on: October 31, 2012, 01:17:37 pm »
Spotted these in Home Depot today.  They also had bags of large chunks of Apple, Cherry, Hickory and Mesquite from Webber too.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2187 on: October 31, 2012, 03:10:18 pm »

Age does factor into when a hog goes to market but the primary driver is weight. 

When I was kid we aimed for 305 lbs to 315 lbs which gave the hog a nice amount of fat without being flabby.  The flavor comes from the fat and that is what the processor buyers wanted. 

Today I think the target weight is closer to 275 lbs which will net a much leaner hog.  It also means a very bland flavor.  Those last 30 lbs also go on more slowly than the previous 100 do. 

This trend isn't only driven by the market wanting a leaner product but also due to the corporate hog farms wanting to turn an extra group of hogs each year.  The profit difference between 185,000 hogs and 255,000 hogs is quite substantial (those numbers are very likely much lower than actual).  I don't remember exactly how long it used to take to finish out a hog but if you can cut 1.5 to 2 months off that time you can produce a lot more hogs.

All this also means that every part of the hog is smaller.  I have a hard seeing a hock being 4 times larger in the past than today but I guess you never know.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2188 on: November 01, 2012, 08:36:28 pm »
i bought 30+ pounds of boston butt today, so i'll be doing some q-ing this weekend for sure. 
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2189 on: November 02, 2012, 04:52:58 am »
i bought 30+ pounds of boston butt today, so i'll be doing some q-ing this weekend for sure.

Nice, it's been awhile since we've seen some good deepsouth BBQ pictures.
Clint
Wort Hogs