Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 461892 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #2190 on: November 04, 2012, 06:07:25 pm »

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2191 on: November 04, 2012, 06:18:51 pm »
Looks good as always.  Are you freezing those portions?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2192 on: November 04, 2012, 06:30:23 pm »
Looks good as always.  Are you freezing those portions?

thanks man!  freezing a few bags and sharing a few bags.  pulled pork abt's real soon.  i've been jonesing for those.

AHA# 196703

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2193 on: November 04, 2012, 08:18:29 pm »
Nice work, but got to call you on the walmart meat.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #2194 on: November 04, 2012, 09:24:20 pm »
That doesn't necessarily mean much.  I've cooked cheap choice cuts that turned out better than some expensive prime cuts. Wal-mart meat or not, it looks good to me.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2195 on: November 05, 2012, 05:03:28 am »
Nice work, but got to call you on the walmart meat.

Two did come from Walmart, but the two larger didn't. I could tell a difference, but it wasn't night and day.

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2196 on: November 05, 2012, 07:07:25 am »
Looks fantastic deepsouth!

There is a difference between the walmart meat and regular grocer meat. Practically all of the primal cuts are injected with an 8-14% solution. In essence they do the brining for you. It shows in the end product but not necessarily a negative effect on taste or texture.

However, this pisses me off! That's 8-14% added to the weight and we are paying for that. I don't always brine my butts or shoulders. Subsequently, I buy my un-solutioned choice briskets at walmart but that's about it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2197 on: November 05, 2012, 10:30:08 am »
Lip smackin' delicious looking as usual ds!  8)

I plan to fire up the smoker this weekend. Maybe some sausages and babyback ribs. Pics to come!
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2198 on: November 05, 2012, 11:31:26 am »
Looks fantastic deepsouth!

There is a difference between the walmart meat and regular grocer meat. Practically all of the primal cuts are injected with an 8-14% solution. In essence they do the brining for you. It shows in the end product but not necessarily a negative effect on taste or texture.

However, this pisses me off! That's 8-14% added to the weight and we are paying for that. I don't always brine my butts or shoulders. Subsequently, I buy my un-solutioned choice briskets at walmart but that's about it.
I refuse to buy meat that has been injected with any sort of "flavor solution to ensure tenderness".  Our Albertsons grocery store has the best meat in town except for their pork  which is invariably injected.  I've complained for years but it doesn't help.  There is a small family owned butcher shop that sells un adulterated meat but their pork selection is very limited.  I'm perfectly capable of seasoning meat the way I want it done, I do not want somebody injecting it with any kind of salt solution.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2199 on: November 05, 2012, 01:12:33 pm »
There is a difference between the walmart meat and regular grocer meat. Practically all of the primal cuts are injected with an 8-14% solution...

...However, this pisses me off! That's 8-14% added to the weight and we are paying for that.

Is that 8%-14% of the total purchase weight is bine solution, or the meat is injected with a 8%-14% brine solution?  If it is the pecentage of salt in the injected solution, the cost of the bine by weight is insignificant.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2200 on: November 05, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »
There is a difference between the walmart meat and regular grocer meat. Practically all of the primal cuts are injected with an 8-14% solution...

...However, this pisses me off! That's 8-14% added to the weight and we are paying for that.

Is that 8%-14% of the total purchase weight is bine solution, or the meat is injected with a 8%-14% brine solution?  If it is the pecentage of salt in the injected solution, the cost of the bine by weight is insignificant.

That is actually a great point. Hadn't looked at it this way. Guess I'm a cynical SOB when it come down to it. Still, I'd like more control over the process. And, one can inject a significant amount of fluid into a butt (a pint) and add as much as a pound to the cut.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2201 on: November 06, 2012, 08:07:33 am »
The Amish folks around here have the best pork (and poultry) I've seen.  And the prices are usually less than in a supermarket.  Their sausages are to die for (literally 8))
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2202 on: November 06, 2012, 08:44:32 am »
The Amish folks around here have the best pork (and poultry) I've seen.  And the prices are usually less than in a supermarket.  Their sausages are to die for (literally 8))

Literally? Let's look at the latin word for "sausage": http://wordinfo.info/unit/314/ip:20 :o

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2203 on: November 06, 2012, 09:27:51 am »

Literally? Let's look at the latin word for "sausage": http://wordinfo.info/unit/314/ip:20 :o

Thanks Euge.  Now I'm hungry again.   8)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2204 on: November 06, 2012, 10:46:39 am »

+1

The local Amish farmers market always has fresh sausages of assorted types. I'm hoping to pick some up for the BBQ this weekend.
Ron Price