Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462524 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #2205 on: December 05, 2012, 08:30:20 am »
Quite a BBQ weekend for me. I did a 6-pound shoulder, cured 4 pounds of bacon, and cured 2 pounds of salmon. Put the salmon in the smoker this morning, with a soldering iron stuck in some Alder chips. Looking forward to trying it when I get home!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2206 on: December 05, 2012, 10:31:05 am »
Quite a BBQ weekend for me. I did a 6-pound shoulder, cured 4 pounds of bacon, and cured 2 pounds of salmon. Put the salmon in the smoker this morning, with a soldering iron stuck in some Alder chips. Looking forward to trying it when I get home!

Sounds great phil!

Post some pics if you have the time. :)
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2207 on: December 06, 2012, 03:02:30 am »
Will do my best. Probably have time for that Saturday. I'm cooking for 35 at a friend's bar in Paris for a going-away party for another friend, and will be using all of what I cooked last weekend. Bacon gets smoked Friday night.

Here's a question... how many of you cold smoke your bacon?
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2208 on: December 06, 2012, 05:00:41 am »
I try but so far have not been successful in keeping the smoker that cool. So the bacon gets a heavy smoke until interior temp is 150 and then I quick chill in cold water.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2209 on: December 06, 2012, 05:58:08 am »
I try but so far have not been successful in keeping the smoker that cool. So the bacon gets a heavy smoke until interior temp is 150 and then I quick chill in cold water.

Euge you know about the tin can cold smoker right? New (never used) soldering iron stuck in a hole in a cleaned soup can (MAPP torch the inside to remove the lining) filled with wood chips & cover it with aluminum foil, plug in the iron & put it in a closed place like a box with the food. Voila.
----

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2210 on: December 06, 2012, 06:45:58 am »

Euge you know about the tin can cold smoker right? New (never used) soldering iron stuck in a hole in a cleaned soup can (MAPP torch the inside to remove the lining) filled with wood chips & cover it with aluminum foil, plug in the iron & put it in a closed place like a box with the food. Voila.

Here's a page with a video on what Phil is describing. 

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/build-a-cold-smoker.html

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2211 on: December 06, 2012, 08:24:36 am »

Very clever!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2212 on: December 06, 2012, 11:39:49 am »
I do similar to what euge does, but cold smoking is on my list.  I have the set up, just need to cure some and do it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2213 on: December 06, 2012, 12:48:06 pm »

I've been planning to cold smoke for some time now, but haven't made the time to actually do it. From my research, I have found that using a cold smoke generator separated yet ducted into a dedicated cold smoke chamber is the way to go. There are many ways to set this up. There are some threads and pics over at the bbq brethren. Here's one unique method.

Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2214 on: December 06, 2012, 04:05:54 pm »
I will certainly try the smoke-can method. It will probably work great in the egg though I do have bigger plans for a drum with a separate smoke box for hanging sausages. Perhaps even a large cabinet as a smoke house.

The smoke generator has always intrigued me as it is an extremely viable solution. Being tied to pucks bothers me. I can make my own chips with my wood-chipper.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2215 on: December 07, 2012, 04:45:09 pm »
Want to add that Harbor Freight has a soldering-iron for $3.99 so one got bought today. I'll chip some pecan branches and try out the rig demonstrated in the video.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2216 on: December 07, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »
I made an external cold smoker so I now smoke bacon at what ever the ambiant temp is. Cost about $5.
 Going to smoke a boston butt Sunday (@225f) and I will try to remember to take pics.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2217 on: December 07, 2012, 06:34:49 pm »
I'm thinking that when it hits the 30-40-50's that would be the optimum time for cured bacon. Actually smoke it and then not really worry about it getting to 150ish. And either eat it that way like slanina or crisp it up all breakfast-like.

And this stuff (many cured smoked meats) is really meant to be smoked over the course of weeks with a fire lit once daily according to the Marianski bros. That's real preservation.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2218 on: December 09, 2012, 04:36:14 pm »
A couple racks of Baby Backs...

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
BBQ Style
« Reply #2219 on: December 09, 2012, 06:33:43 pm »
A couple racks of Baby Backs...

They look fabulous my friend!
Ron Price