Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 459449 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #2220 on: December 10, 2012, 03:02:35 am »
Here are a few pics of the last few days' smoking stuff... No pics of the bacon unfortunately, it all got eaten.

You can see my gasket leaks... I need a new one for xmas. Smoking some bacon here:

Smoked some salmon, it turned out pretty darn good, and cost nearly nothing to make (after buying the salmon anyway), just like with bacon, I don't think we'll be buying smoked salmon in the store any more, especially not at 25 eur / kg for the cheap stuff and 50/kg for the nicer stuff.

So this saturday I cooked for a bunch of people that came by to send off a friend who's moving to Lyon. We had poutine, onion rings, pulled pork sandwiches with carolina mustard sauce, and a "father's office" burger clone (25% brisket, 25% sirloin, 50% short rib, topped with that bacon you see smoking above, plus emmental, a blue cheese cream spread, arugula (roquette), and caramelized onions). All home made, lots of work, but everybody had a good time.

Close-up of the burgers:
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2221 on: December 10, 2012, 05:34:14 pm »
Looks good!

How's that BBQ Guru working out? Is the fan blowing all that smoke through the gap? ;D Looks like a pressure cooker!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2222 on: December 11, 2012, 02:21:38 am »
Looks good!

How's that BBQ Guru working out? Is the fan blowing all that smoke through the gap? ;D Looks like a pressure cooker!

Heh, yeah... Like I said my gasket is blown to pieces from a ~1000 degree cook I did a while back (with a non-high-temp gasket).

Otherwise I love the BBQ Guru. Ruhlman made fun of me for having wires coming out of my BBQ when I posted that pic on twitter, but I don't care, my thing is, I have kids, and I want to spend time with them, AND I want good BBQ. Only way to have that is to have a guru or similar.
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2223 on: December 11, 2012, 05:06:58 am »
Ruhlman made fun of you?! What an honor... :D

I torched my gasket when burning out the egg. Think it got way over 1000F since the inside was glowing.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2224 on: December 11, 2012, 10:43:21 am »
That's a sign of good use phil.  Thanks for posting pics.  Looking good. 

I have a pork shoulder that I plan to smoke this weekend. Probably do a midnight smoke on Saturday.  This way I can have some pulled pork sandwiches ready by dinner on Sunday.  I'll also make some homemade BBQ sauce for the side. :)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2225 on: December 16, 2012, 11:37:09 am »
Pulled Pork. There is a sale on for bone-in Boston-butt roast. It is tamale season so the butts are $1 a pound! Some of this may end up in tamales but the meat gets the smoker first!

A 3.28kg butt was brined overnight and placed in the smoker next morning and smoked @225F for 20 hours until internal temp reached 198F. The roast was removed from smoker, placed into a roasting-pan and covered in foil; this was wrapped in a couple towels and placed into an unlit oven to rest for 5-6 hours, until I was ready to pull the pork.

The roast at about 5am:

The roast after the "rest". This one was completely done and very little leaked out during the cool down phase. 

At a perfect serving temp the pork was extremely tender and came apart in my fingers. I divided it and chopped the darker crispier outer portions. Pulled and separated the moist inner muscle. Kept a bit of the "money-type" pieces to the side for dinner tonight.

Pulled separated and chopped I ended up with 1.78kg smoky porky goodness. Divided up into 300g vacuum bags. I got big plans...

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2226 on: December 16, 2012, 12:01:35 pm »
Looks great Euge!  I was just thinking about pulled pork today.  Need to do one of these soon myself.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
BBQ Style
« Reply #2227 on: December 16, 2012, 02:29:23 pm »
Looks delicious euge! 

Unfortunately, I had to postpone my smoke this weekend. Definitely going to smoke a butt over the holiday.
Ron Price

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2228 on: December 16, 2012, 02:49:39 pm »
Ribs on the egg right now. Not my best work but its cold and rainy out and not the best BBQ weather.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
BBQ Style
« Reply #2229 on: December 24, 2012, 06:02:46 am »
Busy busy busy. I'm in charge of cooking Christmas lunch for my wife's family. Menu item #1 is a homemade double smoked honey glazed ham.

Here the ham is drying in the fridge after a week in Ruhlman's ham brine.

I'm also doing bacon and smoked salmon, some to eat and some to give as gifts. Not much room in the fridge lately:

That was the salmon post-brine, here's what it looked like before:

1.5 kg (~3 lbs) of salmon for 17 eur a kg, comes to about $10 a pound...  Saw the equivalent size, already smoked, at the grocery store for nearly $60. I'm thinking I got the good deal.

Cure (Ruhlman's):

Now I gotta go head up to Santa's workshop. He's contracting out to me this year to make a Thomas and Friends wooden railway for the kids. Probably cheaper in the end to have just bought the tracks on eBay, but then again autodidactic-types don't care too much about per-made :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
BBQ Style
« Reply #2230 on: December 24, 2012, 07:12:09 am »
Very, very nice Phil! post some pics of the finished product if you can. Sounds like the holiday will be a tasty one.

I have a rack of ribs and some sausage that I'm planning to put on the WSM tomorrow. After all, I have to include some BBQ and Homebrew in this Holiday season.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!

Ron Price

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #2231 on: December 24, 2012, 08:24:16 am »
That Salmon looks tasty! I'll be doing my own smoked salmon today as well. Two nice pieces of fish, one farm raised Atlantic and the other wild caught Sockeye from the Copper river. My money is on the Sockeye being the better of the two.

I'll be doing a couple pork loins tomorrow for Christmas dinner as well.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2232 on: December 24, 2012, 10:17:14 am »
There'll be smoked turkey on the Christmas dinner table tomorrow.  I'll start it about 5 AM so it should be ready by 1 PM.  I'll brine it in Woodchuck Amber Cider like I did for Thanksgiving.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2233 on: December 24, 2012, 10:20:12 am »
There'll be smoked turkey on the Christmas dinner table tomorrow.  I'll start it about 5 AM so it should be ready by 1 PM.  I'll brine it in Woodchuck Amber Cider like I did for Thanksgiving.

How much cider do you need for that?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2234 on: December 24, 2012, 01:15:28 pm »
Will be Q-ing a prime rib tomorrow.   Will roll it in Montreal seasoning tonight and let it sit overnight in the fridge.  Will do a light high temperature smoke with apple and cherry wood.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim