Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 458512 times)

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #2280 on: March 03, 2013, 10:20:32 pm »
John Childs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2281 on: March 04, 2013, 05:42:06 pm »
BTW Tom...what's a smoked bacon explosion?

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Yes!

I'm sorry Ron. Do a research on this forum for "fattie". SO simple. SO good. In fact I may do one this week...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2282 on: March 04, 2013, 05:56:16 pm »
I'm sorry to say that I didn't take any pictures but I did a beef fatty tonight for supper.
Did the bacon weave but instead of using pork, I rolled out some tinfoil and made a square of ground beef the size of the bacon weave.  I saute'd a thinly sliced onion, some red pepper and some mushroom and then mixed it all with about a 1/4 cup Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. 

Salt and pepper, onion, garlic powder and a bit of oregano sprinkled on the big square beef patty and then added the vegetables and spread it over the whole thing in a nice even layer.
Using the foil I rolled up the beef and then transferred the beef roll onto the bacon and rolled the bacon around beef log.

3 hours on the BGE with apple smoke at about 250 and it was reading 170 in the center.  Brushed it with more sauce, let it sit for few minutes and sliced 'er up with mashed potatoes.  Friggin' awesome.  Really nothing more than bacon wrapped meatloaf but easily the best meatloaf I've ever made.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2283 on: March 04, 2013, 06:03:43 pm »
Muahahhaha!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
BBQ Style
« Reply #2285 on: March 04, 2013, 08:51:42 pm »
BTW Tom...what's a smoked bacon explosion?

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Yes!

I'm sorry Ron. Do a research on this forum for "fattie". SO simple. SO good. In fact I may do one this week...

Didn't realize it was dubbed SBE. :)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2286 on: March 06, 2013, 11:44:16 pm »
Ok, so I plan to turn the leftover meat in to carnitas - pulled pork, hatch chiles . . . what else?

None of my books have recipes, plenty online but not much agreement and none start from a smoked pork shoulder.  euge, you awake? :)

We made way too much food . . . pics shortly.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2287 on: March 07, 2013, 12:06:20 am »
Ok, here are some pics from last weekend's smoke:

Wild boar shoulder - I found out from the hunter that these things root around eating a lot of acorns, which is apparently why they taste so good.

Rubbed with salt and pepper, smoke for 2-3 hours with pecan, then I put a bacon weave on top.

Smoke smoke smoke

Smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke

Scotch eggs left, bacon explosion right.  I ran out of sausage so I baconed the last couple of eggs.  And my daughter ate one plain as I was making them (not shown).

Bacon explosion post smoke.  I didn't take any pics of the Scotch eggs :(

This is the pork belly wrapped loin that my neighbor brought over.

Tom Schmidlin

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2288 on: March 07, 2013, 05:29:29 am »
Niiiiiice!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2289 on: March 07, 2013, 05:32:30 am »
Now that's what I call a Pork-A-Palooza!  :)

Excellent Tom!
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2290 on: March 07, 2013, 06:17:19 am »
Now that's what I call a Pork-A-Palooza!  :)

Excellent Tom!

MI on a plate ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2291 on: March 07, 2013, 07:11:59 am »
Figure this is relevant... Trying to organize a KCBS event in Paris. I'd love to hear if any of you guys have done those before, and what your thoughts are.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2292 on: March 07, 2013, 07:39:24 am »
Figure this is relevant... Trying to organize a KCBS event in Paris. I'd love to hear if any of you guys have done those before, and what your thoughts are.

My family in Alabama have a team and I've helped out a couple times at a few of their KCBS events in Nashville, Miss., and Alabama.  They are a lot of fun (especially when you win!) and each time I head down south to help out, the competitions get bigger and bigger.  They are very competitive events but you will meet some of the nicest people and of course some of the worlds best bbq.  I highly recommend KCBS competitions to anyone that enjoys cooking bbq!  I'm not 100% sure on how to go about organizing the event, but your toughest part may be getting enough certified judges and maybe finding enough teams to compete.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2293 on: March 07, 2013, 07:56:04 am »
The snow is melting and it should be in the 40s on Saturday.  You've got me thinking about rolling out the smoker.

Gave up red meat for Lent, but that doesn't mean I can't eat pork!
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2294 on: March 07, 2013, 09:45:23 am »
over the weekend and last night.....  pork was on sale for .98/lb, so i bought 25 lbs.  pibil and smoked butts were in the ticket.....

if you haven't tried pibil, you should......

http://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes/print/puerco-pibil-recipe

Ingredients
■5 pounds pork butt, cut into 2 inch cubes
■5 tablespoons annato seeds
■2 teaspoons cumin seeds
■1 tablespoon whole black pepper
■1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
■8 whole allspice berries
■2 habanero Peppers, fresh or dried, cleaned and minced (optional)
■1/2 cup orange juice
■1/2 cup white vinegar
■8 garlic cloves
■2 tablespoons salt
■5 lemons
■1 shot of tequila
■banana leaves (optional)
Preparation Instructions
Grind the annato seeds, cumin seeds, whole peppercorns, whole cloves, and whole allspice in a mortar and pestle, molcajete y tejolote, spice grinder or coffe grinder.

Blend the cleaned and chopped habanero peppers with the orange juice, vinegar, garlic and salt.

Mix the dry spices with the liquid.

Add the juice of 5 lemons and a nice splash of tequila.

Place the cubed pork butt in a large zip lock bag and add the marinade. Soak 4-6 hours, in refrigerator, turning several times.

Line (8x13) baking pan with banana leaves. Pour in pork along with the marinade. Cover with Banana leaves and seal the pan with foil. Bake in a 325 F degree oven for 4 hours.

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale