Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 458478 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #2295 on: March 07, 2013, 09:53:15 am »
Mmmmm, that pibil looks tasty, I'm going to have to try that.

Oh, and . . .
Ok, so I plan to turn the leftover meat in to carnitas - pulled pork, hatch chiles . . . what else?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2296 on: March 07, 2013, 10:40:20 am »
Awesome recipe ds...I'll have to put this on my list of recipes.

Thanks for posting recipe and pics! :)
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2297 on: March 07, 2013, 10:43:07 am »
Awesome recipe ds...I'll have to put this on my list of recipes.

Thanks for posting recipe and pics! :)

It is.  I've made this recipe before and it is quite good.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #2298 on: March 07, 2013, 10:45:42 am »
That looks like a good hunk of Ahi done nice and rare.

What do you do with the avocados on the grill?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2299 on: March 07, 2013, 11:17:43 am »
That looks like a good hunk of Ahi done nice and rare.

What do you do with the avocados on the grill?

thanks!

i just hit them with a little olive oil and the seasoning du jour (last night it was a rub a guy sent me that he makes and another commectial rub that is heavy on the garlic and salt side.  i like a bit of sweetness to them, so i always use a sweeter rub, but i bet some spice would be nice as well.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2300 on: March 07, 2013, 02:30:33 pm »
It looks tasty Tom- and yours too DS!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2301 on: March 07, 2013, 05:58:55 pm »
It looks tasty Tom- and yours too DS!
euge, do you have any carnitas advice?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2302 on: March 08, 2013, 07:39:17 am »
Yes. Braise the sliced marinated pork-butt in lard using a large deep pan like a wok on a gas burner. Once it is tender you put high heat to it along with adding milk, sliced oranges, peppers etc. Stirring frequently you will crisp everything up and the lard and milk will become the sauce.

Since it is somewhat labor intensive many folks here will do the braise stovetop then do the "crisping" in the oven in a roasting pan. There's a world of difference between real carnitas and what is commonly sold in restaurants- which is often just diced grilled pork sautéed with green peppers, tomatoes and onions.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2303 on: March 08, 2013, 11:13:13 am »
Yes. Braise the sliced marinated pork-butt in lard using a large deep pan like a wok on a gas burner. Once it is tender you put high heat to it along with adding milk, sliced oranges, peppers etc. Stirring frequently you will crisp everything up and the lard and milk will become the sauce.

Since it is somewhat labor intensive many folks here will do the braise stovetop then do the "crisping" in the oven in a roasting pan. There's a world of difference between real carnitas and what is commonly sold in restaurants- which is often just diced grilled pork sautéed with green peppers, tomatoes and onions.
Thanks euge - I'm starting from pulled smoked boar though :)  I just added a bunch of roasted hatch chiles, a little garlic, Mexican oregano, and cumin.  I don't know how authentic it is but it's damn good and will go well with the rest of the stuff we're having tomorrow night.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2304 on: March 08, 2013, 12:40:22 pm »

Thanks euge - I'm starting from pulled smoked boar though :)  I just added a bunch of roasted hatch chiles, a little garlic, Mexican oregano, and cumin.  I don't know how authentic it is but it's damn good and will go well with the rest of the stuff we're having tomorrow night.

Sounds good Tom. 

I love green chili...I wonder how smoked boar would work with this recipe.

http://denvergreenchili.com/award-winning-recipes/champion-green-chili/world-champion-green-chili-2011/

http://www.food.com/recipe/chile-verde-con-cerdo-green-chili-with-pork-20574
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2305 on: March 08, 2013, 12:52:17 pm »
It would be smoky. ;)

We grow poblanos and if we have a good year like last year, they have some nice heat.  I use them for my green chili base with chicken broth.  I start with a roux, add the onions and garlic.  Brown the pork separately.  Then add everything else and cook until thickened.  Great over burritos and enchiladas.  If you slow cook the pork first, it comes out nice and tender, but I don't always have time for that.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2306 on: March 08, 2013, 01:25:42 pm »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm going to have to try this.  thanks!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline johnrk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2307 on: March 15, 2013, 05:52:52 pm »
Just a few more weeks until Easter. Gave up grilling for Lent, the wife gave up Chocolate and the kids gave up television, so I had to give up something I loved. Have be using the broiler in the oven allot! I have 10 lbs of steak in the freeze and will be having grilled Easter Steak!

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
New Smoker Build
« Reply #2308 on: March 22, 2013, 08:30:44 am »
This past winter I designed & then had a local welding shop build a smoker for me. It's 36"x36"x48" OD. It's always been a dream of mine and now it's a reality. Probably a little more than I need but so be it... Like I told the wifey, I'm just borrowing it from the next owner. I'm not planning to get into the BBQ business but I have a number of gigs lined up already for friends & family. I just LOVE BBQ. Almost as much as Beer...  ;)

Anyway, here are a few pics.  Thanks for looking!

The trailer arrived in pieces, literally. Fortunately all the pieces parts were there and unscathed.

Trailer assembled with the wheels set back:

Just getting started:

Ready for paint:

Painted & assembled:

The guts:

The charcoal basket. The basket ID is 28"x28":

First Cook. Three Pork Butts. It performed very well & averaged about a pound of charcoal per hour with the outside temp below freezing.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2309 on: March 22, 2013, 10:20:56 am »
That's a thing of beauty my freind! :)

You could go into business with that rig.

Congrats!
Ron Price