Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 459378 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #270 on: August 19, 2010, 09:10:19 pm »
I then remove the bird from the grill and allow to cool for about thirty minutes or so.

Wrapped in foil, sitting in a cooler? Stays hot, keeps moist - best thing I did to my bbq routine.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #271 on: August 19, 2010, 10:55:42 pm »
So hungry for smoked meat . . .

I need to take some pictures of my efforts one of these days.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2010, 04:09:27 am »
I then remove the bird from the grill and allow to cool for about thirty minutes or so.

Wrapped in foil, sitting in a cooler? Stays hot, keeps moist - best thing I did to my bbq routine.

This  ^^^^^

is a great tip.
Ron Price

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2010, 05:45:48 am »
Definitely a good tip. I started doing that with dry-rubbed ribs and I thought it improved the presentation considerably. Much juicier.  Probably part from simply resting the meat, and part from steaming it a bit; just a guess, but it's a noticeable improvement.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2010, 06:08:39 am »
There's a technique for smoking ribs called 3-2-1.

The 3-2-1 method of smoking ribs is not rocket science.. just a series of basic instructions that will make them more tender.

The 3-2-1 method starts out by preparing the ribs as normal.. removing the membrane, dusting with a rub or with just some salt and pepper if you prefer and then onto the smoker grate for about 3 hours.

This first stage is the “3” in the equation and is over when you see the meat starting to pull back from the bone about a quarter inch. This normally requires about 3 hours or so if you are able to maintain 225 degrees in your smoker.

The second stage of the process is removing the ribs from the smoker and wrapping them in heavy duty foil. Just before closing up the foil, splash on some apple juice.

Place the ribs back in the smoker wrapped in foil and let them cook for 2 hours.

This step will tenderize the ribs.

When the second stage is over, remove the foil and place the ribs back on the smoker grate unwrapped to firm them up a little before serving.  This is the "1" stage

Keep a close eye on the ribs at this point and remove them when they reach 170 degrees which should take about 45 minutes to an hour.

Let the ribs sit on the counter for about 15 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat.

Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2010, 12:05:50 pm »
I've been stuck on "3" in my method. :-\ I will try this in my drafty old smoker.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #276 on: August 20, 2010, 12:13:18 pm »
It's definitely a trial and error process like brewing in a way.  It's also knowing the look and feel of the ribs as they cook.  It's so easy to overcook them.

Once the meat pulls away about 1/4" their ready to go to "2" so you have to really watch them closely at this stage of the game.
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #277 on: August 20, 2010, 12:40:02 pm »
Mmmmmmmmmm, ribs ;D.  Ron,  I'm going to have to smoke me some BBs on Sunday.  Wash 'em down with saison.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2010, 12:47:36 pm »
Mmmmmmmmmm, ribs ;D.  Ron,  I'm going to have to smoke me some BBs on Sunday.  Wash 'em down with saison.

Hey Jim....what time is dinner?   ;D

Here's a great discussion on BBQ and the 3-2-1 method.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-17775.html
Ron Price

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2010, 12:56:30 pm »
I smoke my ribs until they look just short of being done (4-5 hours?). Then I wrap in foil with a little liquid (using some combo of the following; apple juice, cider vinegar, honey, maple syrup), and then wrap towels around the foil.  Let sit for 30-60 minutes, then take them out and brush lightly with sauce before serving.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2010, 01:00:54 pm »
I smoke my ribs until they look just short of being done (4-5 hours?). Then I wrap in foil with a little liquid (using some combo of the following; apple juice, cider vinegar, honey, maple syrup), and then wrap towels around the foil.  Let sit for 30-60 minutes, then take them out and brush lightly with sauce before serving.

Some folks use a blend of apple juice and Jack Daniels in a spray bottle.  They wet the ribs down every so often to keep them from drying out.  I am planning to give that a try.
Ron Price

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2010, 01:33:53 pm »
Some folks use a blend of apple juice and Jack Daniels in a spray bottle.  They wet the ribs down every so often to keep them from drying out.  I am planning to give that a try.

I like cooking and brewing things as simple as possible, and when I BBQ I really don't like opening my smoker until the meat is done.  This is why I don't like messing around with the 3-2-1 method, or constantly applying mops/sprays.

With the method I use, the ribs still get a moisture addition and are steamed/rested a bit with the foil wrap.  They come out plenty moist, sticky to touch, and have a nice shiny glazed look.

But yeah, some JD would be a nice addition.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2010, 01:37:44 pm »

I like cooking and brewing things as simple as possible, and when I BBQ I really don't like opening my smoker until the meat is done.  This is why I don't like messing around with the 3-2-1 method, or constantly applying mops/sprays.

With the method I use, the ribs still get a moisture addition and are steamed/rested a bit with the foil wrap.  They come out plenty moist, sticky to touch, and have a nice shiny glazed look.

But yeah, some JD would be a nice addition.

I think it's really more for flavor than moisture.   :-\
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2010, 01:47:16 pm »
Mmmmmmmmmm, ribs ;D.  Ron,  I'm going to have to smoke me some BBs on Sunday.  Wash 'em down with saison.

There is a ton of excellent info in the BBQ Brethren web site.  I've gained a lot of good ribs knowledge from this site as well...
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #284 on: August 20, 2010, 01:50:52 pm »

There is a ton of excellent info in the BBQ Brethren web site.  I've gained a lot of good ribs knowledge from this site as well...
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

I've seen the site before but haven't had a chance to browse yet.  Thanks...I'll check it out.
Ron Price