Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462562 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #285 on: August 20, 2010, 02:26:29 pm »
3-2-1 will work but a few times I've seen it overcook ribs...particularly back ribs.  I used to foil ribs a lot but I've found it less necessary of late.  But it was helpful for me when I was having trouble getting them tender enough!  Haven't even been doing "low and slow" of late, I've been surprised by how tender and smoky higher temperatures with charcoal and hickory can get them.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #286 on: August 20, 2010, 07:14:12 pm »
I will try this in my drafty old smoker.

Aluminum foil is an awesome way to draft proof your smoker. Make a foil snake, and pinch it around the doors, lid, wherever there's a draft that there shouldn't be. When you crunch it down, it conforms to the opening, and seals it up pretty good. You'll be able to control your fire better this way.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2010, 01:34:35 pm »
i cooked a few things over the weekend.....   chicken wings, pork tenderloin & meatloaf

thanks for looking.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #288 on: August 23, 2010, 01:36:12 pm »
3-2-1 will work but a few times I've seen it overcook ribs...particularly back ribs.  I used to foil ribs a lot but I've found it less necessary of late.  But it was helpful for me when I was having trouble getting them tender enough!  Haven't even been doing "low and slow" of late, I've been surprised by how tender and smoky higher temperatures with charcoal and hickory can get them.

i used to do 3-2-1 or some variation thereof, but lately, it's been straight smoke.  i have found that when i foil my ribs i have less control over when they are actually ready and the bark that builds up over the first three hours gets soggy and sometimes even the last hour doesn't get it "right" again.  plus, depending on the size of the rib, i have actually opened the foil and had "fall off the bone" ribs, which i don't like.

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #289 on: August 23, 2010, 03:15:09 pm »

i used to do 3-2-1 or some variation thereof, but lately, it's been straight smoke.  i have found that when i foil my ribs i have less control over when they are actually ready and the bark that builds up over the first three hours gets soggy and sometimes even the last hour doesn't get it "right" again.  plus, depending on the size of the rib, i have actually opened the foil and had "fall off the bone" ribs, which i don't like.

Great looking Q as usual!

When using the  3-2-1 method and finishing for the last hour I have found that you need a higher heat (250+) to establish that crusty outer layer but yet maintain the tender middle.  There's a fine line between fall off the bone and fork tender.  It requires babysitting the meat.  Once the ribs become fork tender during the "2" stage they must be removed from the foil and finished at "1".  In my experience the 3-2-1 method works well if your grill temps are properly regulated which is a challenge for me sometimes. 
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #290 on: August 23, 2010, 03:28:44 pm »
Yeah, the degree of tenderness is an important consideration.  I don't much like it when they get to the point you can't even pick them up by the bone end without the meat splattering off.  But, I also want the meat to come cleanly off the bone...when the meat is not quite tender I get those damn bits of meat wedged in between my teeth which annoys me rather!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #291 on: August 23, 2010, 03:31:02 pm »
that's why i just use straight smoke and the "bend method" of testing.

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #292 on: August 30, 2010, 07:46:17 am »
i did a little grilling over the weekend....

red snapper had olive oil, salt, dizzy pig tsunami spin and shakin' the tree and simply marvelous season all

bacon wrapped scallops had dizzy pit tsunami spin and shakin the tree

baby bok choy had simply marvelous season all, olive oil and salt

i seasoned the tri-tip with kikoman teriyaki sauce, dizzy pig dizzy dust and red eye express and simply marvelous sweet and spicy.

i pulled it at 140 and let it rest 20 minutes.

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #293 on: August 30, 2010, 10:32:31 am »
Looks simply marvelous. 

Did you grill the fish direct?  What temp?

Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #294 on: August 30, 2010, 11:47:25 am »
Looks simply marvelous. 

Did you grill the fish direct?  What temp?

thanks tons!

i grilled the fish direct on a raised grid at 375.

AHA# 196703

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #295 on: August 30, 2010, 01:03:32 pm »
Oh Man I'd hit that like a Tasmanian Devil!!! Great lookin' Q!!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #296 on: August 30, 2010, 01:24:56 pm »
Oh Man I'd hit that like a Tasmanian Devil!!! Great lookin' Q!!!!

thanks!  cheers!

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #297 on: August 30, 2010, 07:55:52 pm »
That tri-tip cut is typically found on the West-Coast? I've heard of it but never seen it. Bottom sirloin gotta taste great.

Looks good!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #298 on: August 30, 2010, 11:02:49 pm »
That tri-tip cut is typically found on the West-Coast?

Hmmm . . . name is "deepsouth"

.sig says "Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)"

I suppose Mississippi has a west coast.  Sort of  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #299 on: August 30, 2010, 11:37:22 pm »
That tri-tip cut is typically found on the West-Coast?

Hmmm . . . name is "deepsouth"

.sig says "Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)"

I suppose Mississippi has a west coast.  Sort of  :)

It does indeed!

Only my friends from California have ever talked tri-tip. When pressed as to what it's like they can't describe it. But it isn't like brisket. Google returns: Bottom Sirloin! I'm sure it is a commonly found cut outside Texas. Love sirloin and it'd be a shame to cook it like a brisket. I'll ask a butcher for some. ;)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis