Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462625 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2010, 04:46:07 am »
That tri-tip cut is typically found on the West-Coast? I've heard of it but never seen it. Bottom sirloin gotta taste great.

Looks good!

They use tri-tip in chili cook-offs.  I haven't seen it in our local grocery stores.  Perhaps the local butcher shop will have it.  I want to get my hands on this cut for making chili.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2010, 06:52:08 am »
That tri-tip cut is typically found on the West-Coast?

Hmmm . . . name is "deepsouth"

.sig says "Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)"

I suppose Mississippi has a west coast.  Sort of  :)

It does indeed!

Only my friends from California have ever talked tri-tip. When pressed as to what it's like they can't describe it. But it isn't like brisket. Google returns: Bottom Sirloin! I'm sure it is a commonly found cut outside Texas. Love sirloin and it'd be a shame to cook it like a brisket. I'll ask a butcher for some. ;)

i had to ask them to cut me one.  you never see them out and rouses is the only place on the coast that will cut them.   this was my first one.   double check the "bottom sirloin" part, because the butcher made it a pont to tell me it was the top..... not sure if he was correct about that, but the cut was correct.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #302 on: August 31, 2010, 03:13:55 pm »
Mostly when I see tri-tip here it is prepackaged with marinade.  I don't remember the brand, but I've tried them and they're decent.

Tri-tip chili . . . that sounds great (well, any chili sounds great), I'll have to try that.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #303 on: September 02, 2010, 10:41:52 am »
Did some babybacks over the weekend and tried the 3-2-1 method (sort of) and the ribs came out great. It was more like 3-1.5-0... I fell asleep and woke up at the 1.5 mark and checked the ribs. They gently steamed when the foil was opened up and no juice! They felt and looked ready.

Indeed some of the best ribs to date! Getting my fluctuating temps under control really made a difference even though still believe my temps might be a little higher than desired. If I hadn't foiled the ribs they would have been dry for sure! Already a nice bark- the conclusion was: "done" and an executive decision to remove the ribs was made.

Ate the last of them last night.

Aside note:

I have two thermometers. One big dial in the lid that I installed. One oven-style inside at grill/meat level on the grate that only gets seen when I open the sucker up. The one in the lid usually reads 100 degrees more than the one at meat level. Which one do I trust?  ???
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #304 on: September 02, 2010, 10:51:28 am »
Did some babybacks over the weekend and tried the 3-2-1 method (sort of) and the ribs came out great. It was more like 3-1.5-0... I fell asleep and woke up at the 1.5 mark and checked the ribs. They gently steamed when the foil was opened up and no juice! They felt and looked ready.

Indeed some of the best ribs to date! Getting my fluctuating temps under control really made a difference even though still believe my temps might be a little higher than desired. If I hadn't foiled the ribs they would have been dry for sure! Already a nice bark- the conclusion was: "done" and an executive decision to remove the ribs was made.

Aside note:

I have two thermometers. One big dial in the lid that I installed. One oven-style inside at grill/meat level on the grate that only gets seen when I open the sucker up. The one in the lid usually reads 100 degrees more than the one at meat level. Which one do I trust?  ???

Have you tried calibrating them.  Boil some water and measure the temp. then calibrate accordingly.

I might pick up some ribs for the weekend.  Glad the 3-2-1 method (well almost) worked out for you.

Happy grilling!

Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #305 on: September 02, 2010, 11:57:57 am »

Aside note:

have you ever tried straight smoking the ribs without foiling them?

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #306 on: September 02, 2010, 01:04:12 pm »
Yes. This was the second time I did foil. Wasn't impressed the first time, but put them in foil too soon (I think) and they came out braised from sitting in too much juice and too hot of an environment.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #307 on: September 02, 2010, 01:16:56 pm »
Yes. This was the second time I did foil. Wasn't impressed the first time, but put them in foil too soon (I think) and they came out braised from sitting in too much juice and too hot of an environment.

that's pretty much why i stopped foiling.  i'd have great bark and then i'd foil and it would turn soggy-ish...

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #308 on: September 02, 2010, 01:51:23 pm »
That's why you use the "1" direct without foil.  It works for me, but different strokes for different folks.  8)
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #309 on: September 02, 2010, 02:00:37 pm »
That's why you use the "1" direct without foil.  It works for me, but different strokes for different folks.  8)

that's worked for me before, but if the ribs become overcooked/fall off the bone during the foiling process, the extra "1" goes out the window...    i just feel like i have more control when i don't foil.

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #310 on: September 02, 2010, 02:10:25 pm »

that's worked for me before, but if the ribs become overcooked/fall off the bone during the foiling process, the extra "1" goes out the window...    i just feel like i have more control when i don't foil.

I certainly respect your opinion. YMMV from mine. Great debate.  8)
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #311 on: September 02, 2010, 02:28:09 pm »

I certainly respect your opinion. YMMV from mine. Great debate.  8)

absolutely!  no singular proper way to Q and if you stop listening and reading, you stop learning!

cheers!

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #312 on: September 05, 2010, 11:28:33 am »
dizzy pig dizzy dust and red eye express on the beef tenderloin, dizzy pig pineapple head on the pineapple, dizzy pig shakin' the tree and tsunami spin on the chicken, japanese eggplant....all topped off with simply marvelous season all and one of the firewires was glazed with seal sami terayaki sauce...

and then pulled beef yesterday.....

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #313 on: September 05, 2010, 01:05:35 pm »
Looks great as usual.   8)

I'm planning to smoke a Boston Butt tomorrow.  I'll post pics.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #314 on: September 05, 2010, 01:11:22 pm »
i'm putting on chicken wings as we speak.

AHA# 196703