Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 459467 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #330 on: September 06, 2010, 02:43:33 pm »
i always rub mine down good.  adds layers of flavor.  i like the taste of straight pork, but i like them rubbed down better.  matter of preference for sure and thank goodness there are so many different ways to do proper tasty bbq.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #331 on: September 06, 2010, 04:47:54 pm »
Yes sir.

Truth be told, I like rubbing my meat too, just dont want it dry.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #332 on: September 06, 2010, 05:30:19 pm »
As promised, finished product.

Didn't get any shots on the smoker as it smoked overnight but here it is after 15 hours on pit, and 1 hour wrapped in a towel in a cooler. Shredded like a dream.

And here's thirds....Simple slaw on top with a homemade Jack Daniels Ancho BBQ sauce.

"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #333 on: September 06, 2010, 06:07:02 pm »
tri-tip, asparagus & potatoes...

AHA# 196703

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #334 on: September 06, 2010, 06:07:31 pm »
As promised, finished product.

Didn't get any shots on the smoker as it smoked overnight but here it is after 15 hours on pit, and 1 hour wrapped in a towel in a cooler. Shredded like a dream.

And here's thirds....Simple slaw on top with a homemade Jack Daniels Ancho BBQ sauce.

looks marvelous!

AHA# 196703

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #335 on: September 06, 2010, 06:26:02 pm »
I've got to find some tri-tip in Texas. The few pics I've seen on here have my mouth watering. Nicely done deepsouth. I love asparagus on the grill. I grill it dry to bring out the nutty, woody flavors of the stalk.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #336 on: September 06, 2010, 06:43:08 pm »
Hickory smoked chicken, rubbed with fajita seasoning out of one of Raichlen's books.  No pics in process, but with the pork shoulders I smoked the other day and some homemade bbq sauce (another Raichlen recipe more or less) we're headed to the neighbors.

Tom Schmidlin

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #337 on: September 06, 2010, 06:48:58 pm »
nice!

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #338 on: September 06, 2010, 07:12:04 pm »
I grilled on the Weber kettle yesterday.

It was Boneless Chicken Breasts, Portobella Mushrooms and Roasted Red Peppers.

The mushrooms were marinated fro 2 hours in EVOO, Aged Balsamic, Green Onion, Garlic, salt and pepper.

The chicken was also marinated in Pride of the Deer Camp BBQ overnight.

Then it was the long smoke today.  8)

Boston Butt with one of my dry rubs.  I started with prepared mustard and brown sugar then applied the dry rub.  Overnight.

9hrs on the smoker with 3 in the foil then wrapped in a towel and in the coller for 2hrs.

Melt in your mouth.  You know it's done when you can pull the bone clean out.

One of my boys after a long days smoke.  8) 
His name is Muddy.

Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #339 on: September 06, 2010, 07:17:12 pm »
Wow!

AHA# 196703

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #340 on: September 06, 2010, 11:31:39 pm »
Awesome!  i'm going to have to do a Boston butt one of these days, but the brisket is the next on the list.  I'm considering corning it and then just making pastrami - nothing like a hot pastrami with swiss on homemade rye.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #341 on: September 07, 2010, 04:31:22 am »
Thanks gents!

Briskets are a challenge to get the right tenderness but I love them.
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #342 on: September 07, 2010, 06:20:54 am »
I'm considering corning it and then just making pastrami - nothing like a hot pastrami with swiss on homemade rye.

Absolutely!  I usually cheat and buy precorned beef, but its fantastic stuff.  The idea of boiling corned beef to me now is anathema.  A meat slicer is really helpful...some people like thicker slices of pastrami, but I like smoking it, then cooling it overnight to firm it up, then slicing it extremely thin.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #343 on: September 07, 2010, 10:00:27 am »
We love corned beef, even boiled, but ever since I started corning them myself SWMBO can't stand the store bought stuff.  I don't use salt peter so it doesn't have that artificial red color that she found kind of creepy, it turns brown/greyish (I think some people call corned beef without salt peter "grey corned beef").  It's not the most appetizing color, but it sure tastes good.

I do a dry rub for it, rather than the brine you see at the store.  I weight it down with bricks and flip it every day for 10 days, wash off the salt/spices, then add more spices without the salt and cook it up.

I usually cut it into pieces to make it more manageable, but I think I want to corn this one whole.  I'm going to need to find some bigger ziplocs :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #344 on: September 07, 2010, 11:01:21 am »
Ahh the smell of smoked meats...

I started breaking in the new smoker this weekend both Sat & Sun and left Labor day to brew (which was laborious and sweaty).

I did Baby-backs, chicken wings and sausage first go around. Sadly only the ribs were left for the pics. The ribs went a full 6 hours at 225 but I think they're overcooked. Still moist but a little mushy. Flavor is good.

Sunday's efforts were more successful IMO. Cut down a full rack of ribs to more of a St Louis cut and rubbed good with my "secret spices". Lamb shank with silverskin removed, rubbed with s&p, garlic, comino and sugar.

I then took the trimmings from the spare-ribs, spiced then bound and rubbed with French's mustard and onto the smoker. Went into a pot of bean along with the bone from the shank the next day.

Even though these ribs were meatier I only took them to 4 hours at 225. Excellent! Oh- and the lamb... the lamb turned out really nice!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis