Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462585 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #390 on: September 21, 2010, 06:57:28 am »
good looking stuff.  i see the egg is treating you well, and you it.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #391 on: September 21, 2010, 06:59:15 am »
Looks good rad...er Euge. But you lost me at
Chopped

Gotta pull that pork man!
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #392 on: September 21, 2010, 11:04:06 am »
Yum!  Did you use a Carolina vinegar based sauce I presume?

It was a thin vinegar tomato sauce made with apple-juice and some drippings. Barely can tell it's there so it might need some notch-kicking. ;) Otherwise it's unctuous, smoky and porky.

Robert I pulled it with forks as much as I could until my hands got tired. Then chopped, which I think is traditional. Ended up with alot- maybe the folks at work will eat well. They'll want brisket too.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #393 on: September 21, 2010, 11:20:57 am »
I've started using those yellow dishwashing gloves to pull mine (the pork shoulder  ;) ). Works like a charm. The fork thing never worked for me. I'm still eating on mine from Labor Day. I froze most of it. I did make some stuffed Hatch Chiles with pulled pork and cream cheese a couple of nights after making it. Those were out-freakin-standing.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #394 on: September 21, 2010, 11:26:34 am »

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #395 on: September 21, 2010, 11:30:04 am »
I've started using those yellow dishwashing gloves to pull mine (the pork shoulder  ;) ). Works like a charm. The fork thing never worked for me. I'm still eating on mine from Labor Day. I froze most of it. I did make some stuffed Hatch Chiles with pulled pork and cream cheese a couple of nights after making it. Those were out-freakin-standing.

That's a good idea! And the rellenos sound delicioso. That's definitely within my capabilities. Have four pounds meat vac-packed, which is probably 16 or so sandwiches worth. Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, but I think some thin sliced onion would go well either with the slaw or as a sub, but then it'd need pickles. Oh jeez now I'm talking chopped beef... :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #396 on: September 21, 2010, 11:33:07 am »
try bear paws.....

http://www.kck.com/bear-paws-bbq-meat-handler.html

Now that's an idea! Plus one can defend the que from hungry guests... :D

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #397 on: September 21, 2010, 11:53:30 am »
try bear paws.....

http://www.kck.com/bear-paws-bbq-meat-handler.html

Now that's an idea! Plus one can defend the que from hungry guests... :D

They are amazing!!!  Pull a 9 pound Butt in a matter of a couple minutes.  Just amazing!!! Cheers!!!

Edit:  This is where I bought mine: http://cgi.ebay.com/BEAR-PAW-CLAWS-ELECTRIC-MEAT-HANDLER-SMOKER-BBQ-GRILL-/150484577624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2309946d58
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:56:59 am by hamiltont »
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #398 on: September 27, 2010, 07:15:54 am »
these are some of the shrimp i got a few days ago along with some "sushi grade" tuna and fresh cobia i bought from the seafood market. 

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #399 on: September 27, 2010, 07:24:49 am »
That's some great looking Q as usual deepsouth. 

I brined and smoked a turkey breast...pics to follow.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #400 on: September 27, 2010, 07:36:42 am »
That's some great looking Q as usual deepsouth. 

I brined and smoked a turkey breast...pics to follow.

can't wait to see that.  i've yet to try a big bird like that.

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #401 on: September 27, 2010, 10:41:52 am »
Mmmm. Shrimp.

Were they marinated? Looks tasty.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #402 on: September 27, 2010, 11:55:22 am »
Mmmm. Shrimp.

they were, for a couple hours.  course sea salt, dizzy pig shakin' the tree and paul prudhomme's seafood magic.  probably some of the best grilled shrimp i've done.

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #403 on: September 27, 2010, 12:17:35 pm »
Mmmm. Shrimp.

they were, for a couple hours.  course sea salt, dizzy pig shakin' the tree and paul prudhomme's seafood magic.  probably some of the best grilled shrimp i've done.

What temp and how long do you grill them?
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #404 on: September 27, 2010, 12:25:33 pm »
I thought they looked marinated. Shrimp really benefit from a quickie marinade. A quick brine will do wonders as well.

Did 2 racks of babybacks last night along with some stuffed pork-loin (yup you guessed it: with bratwurst), potatoes and corn on the cob.

The loin was/is excellent! I got a good deal on a whole loin at 1.67/# and it was fresh- never frozen. So I cut and stuffed five roasts, vac-packed and froze 4- the other went in the smoker at 275 until 155F in the center.

The ribs are another story. For some reason I had a brain fart and modified Harry Soo's 6 hour 275F method (no spritzing) for my babybacks. Came out waaay overcooked. The bark was excellent, next time only 4 hours. I think either the spritzing or the size of the ribs makes a difference here. I'm just not prepared to "spritz" every 15 minutes for two hours.

Solution? Chopped pork with a sweet vinegar sauce on rolls...

Actually, the crunchy bits are great in the pork. Additional dimensions of texture and flavor. Expensive way to make pulled pork but goood... :D