Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 459503 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #405 on: September 27, 2010, 01:10:36 pm »
Mmmm. Shrimp.

Were they marinated? Looks tasty.

they were, for a couple hours.  course sea salt, dizzy pig shakin' the tree and paul prudhomme's seafood magic.  probably some of the best grilled shrimp i've done.

What temp and how long do you grill them?

i get my grill pretty hot...  in this case, probably 400-450 and then i just go by "look and feel" and it never hurts to pull one off and pop it in my mouth!   

obviously, shrimp don't take long at all.  these were ready in under 10 mintues i'm sure.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #406 on: September 27, 2010, 07:27:55 pm »
Here' the new WSM smoker.  This is the first smoke.

I brined the Turkey for 24 hrs.

2 quarts apple juice
1 lb brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 quarts water
3 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, sliced thin
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
vegetable oil or melted, unsalted butter

I smoked the Turkey at 350F for 2.5 hrs to acieve an internal temp of 169F.

Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #407 on: September 27, 2010, 07:38:06 pm »
Here' the new WSM smoker.  This is the first smoke.

Oooohhhhhh Aaaahhhhhhhhh Shiny!

PS - Thanks for wearing clothes while taking the shot. Looks like a red shirt and bluejeans? Do you remember when people were taking pictures of shiny things and posting em for sale on ebay while they were nekked. The intent wasn't even to sell the product but rather to "show their wares"
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:41:47 pm by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #408 on: September 27, 2010, 07:39:58 pm »
Here' the new WSM smoker.  This is the first smoke.

I should kick some dirt on it or something.  It just looks too shiny.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #409 on: September 27, 2010, 07:53:24 pm »
Beautiful! There you go making me hungry again.

Walked in for the WSM walked out with a BGE. I think you'll be able. To cook a lot in that one. Is it the 21.5"?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #410 on: September 27, 2010, 07:58:58 pm »
Beautiful! There you go making me hungry again.

Walked in for the WSM walked out with a BGE. I think you'll be able. To cook a lot in that one. Is it the 21.5"?

I got the 18.5" since it's just the wife most of the time. If I need the additional cooking space I can break out the Weber 18.5 kettle and the Silver G gas grill.

So much Q and so little time!   8)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #411 on: September 27, 2010, 11:13:34 pm »
That looks great!  I'm definitely in the market for a smoker and have been eying the WSM.  Can't decide.  Are the BGEs everything they're supposed to be?  Has anyone here ever compared them to other kamados?   I'm going to have a hard time convincing my wife we should spend the money on one, but it's worth a try :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #412 on: September 27, 2010, 11:42:41 pm »
That looks great!  I'm definitely in the market for a smoker and have been eying the WSM.  Can't decide.  Are the BGEs everything they're supposed to be?  Has anyone here ever compared them to other kamados?   I'm going to have a hard time convincing my wife we should spend the money on one, but it's worth a try :)

Without the Nest and Plate Setter it costs less. To do it all again I'd skip the Nest. That was $120. Then you could spend the remainder on a control system. LOL

I think the popular Weber will hold more but the frugal Egg is versatile and can easily go over 1000F according to the info out there. It's very heavy and should last decades if not longer. I put mine together without help. Check out the ceramic if you can.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #413 on: September 28, 2010, 12:44:46 am »
Without the Nest and Plate Setter it costs less. To do it all again I'd skip the Nest. That was $120. Then you could spend the remainder on a control system. LOL
:o

I think the popular Weber will hold more but the frugal Egg is versatile and can easily go over 1000F according to the info out there. It's very heavy and should last decades if not longer. I put mine together without help. Check out the ceramic if you can.
I'm not afraid of putting stuff together, and I'll probably build my own table rather than buy one or a nest.  They even have plans on the website.  I'm sure I would just buy the egg to start and then drool over accessories before breaking down and buying them :)

What is the frugal egg?  Is that just the egg itself, no frills?  It's still going to be $800+ . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #414 on: September 28, 2010, 01:02:30 am »
Well, its frugal cause I've done 6 looong cooks and still haven't hit the 10# mark in charcoal. Close but not yet. Supplemented with what the Pecan tree sheds so maybe it's skewed slightly. But by just a bit. I'd do a 6 hour smoke and there'd be loads of charcoal left.

I think you can do without the plate setter if you do some low and slow, and you won't need it for grilling. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #415 on: September 28, 2010, 01:35:32 am »
It would take a long time to break even if you're going by charcoal used.  :)

But that's not the main motivation anyway, it's the awesome food.  ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #416 on: September 28, 2010, 05:52:32 am »
Here' the new WSM smoker.  This is the first smoke.

PS - Thanks for wearing clothes while taking the shot. Looks like a red shirt and bluejeans? Do you remember when people were taking pictures of shiny things and posting em for sale on ebay while they were nekked. The intent wasn't even to sell the product but rather to "show their wares"

Perhaps it's a good thing I'm not Weazeltoe then.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #417 on: September 28, 2010, 05:53:46 am »

Thanks!

I can't vouch for the almighty egg but the WSM is the shazizzle!

Tell her you'll smoke with no pants then.  :-\
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #418 on: September 28, 2010, 05:55:18 am »
If you look hard enough you can see his reflection in the turkey breast too.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #419 on: September 28, 2010, 06:05:52 am »

Do you have a regular weber grill already? There's a conversion kit for it.
http://www.shop.cajunbandit.com/product.sc?productId=1&categoryId=4
The moral majority, is neither.