Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 459448 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2010, 10:24:45 am »
And really blues, there's nothing to see, just some ~1x1x5 chunks of yellow cheddar.  But I can do some process picks next time, that might be more interesting.  ;D

That will work.   :)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #466 on: October 05, 2010, 11:23:05 am »
And remember to take the cheese out of it's wax coating first!  ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #467 on: October 05, 2010, 12:47:54 pm »
Here are a few pics from last weekend's Que... 1 Butt, 4 Pork Roasts and 2 Fatties.   Cheers!!!

The fairly modified Char-Griller...

Ready to foil a roast...

Pullin' a Pork Roast

The Fatties...

Pulled Pork Sammie...

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #468 on: October 05, 2010, 12:59:51 pm »
Good thing I just had lunch! This would have me running to the fridge!.

The "fatties" are some sort of meatloaf?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #469 on: October 05, 2010, 01:18:00 pm »
Phantastic work hamilton!   8)
How do you like that grill?
I was considering getting a chargriller (that is a chargriller?) but opted out for the WSM.
What style of beer did you serve with that feast?
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #470 on: October 05, 2010, 01:18:12 pm »
In online BBQ forum speak fatties tend to be basic breakfast sausage meat (usually) formed into rolls, seasoned, often stuffed with various ingredients, and smoked, so in a sense very much like smoked meatloaf.  Looks good!  

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #471 on: October 05, 2010, 01:21:31 pm »
The "fatties" are some sort of meatloaf?

Just a tube of Jimmy Dean Sausage dusted with rub & smoked to ~165F. I made these primarily for breakfast.  Muffin, fatty, egg, cheese A.K.A McMuffin.  The Fatty possibilities are endless.  Roll the sausage out to 1/2", fill with sautéd peppers & onions, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, wrap with a bacon weave, etc... etc...  Roll it up like a jelly roll & seal the edges so the "goodies" don't fall out.  I was lazy & just dusted them...  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #472 on: October 05, 2010, 01:27:12 pm »
MMMM.

..but you always have to say "I smoked a fattie"
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #473 on: October 05, 2010, 01:30:26 pm »
Phantastic work hamilton!   8)
How do you like that grill?
I was considering getting a chargriller (that is a chargriller?) but opted out for the WSM.
What style of beer did you serve with that feast?
It took some time to get the Char-Griller working the way I wanted it.  I added the baffles under the grates to help even out the temp, a charcoal basket in the firebox, drilled extra 3/4" holes by the intake & chimney to allow better flow. I can get it smokin' hot or run it < 200F. I really like the control cause I usually start the Que out ~200F for the first hour or so for the smoke & then bump it up to ~250F for the balance.

Beer? During the cook I went through 4 pints of DIPA, Irish Red and Sweet Stout. With the meal, a Smokehaus Porter I made last winter by smoking some of the base malt with Alder wood.  Cheers!!!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #474 on: October 05, 2010, 06:31:19 pm »
Roll the sausage out to 1/2", fill with sautéd peppers & onions, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, wrap with a bacon weave, etc... etc...  Roll it up like a jelly roll & seal the edges so the "goodies" don't fall out.  I was lazy & just dusted them...  Cheers!!!

Put the sausage in a ziplock, I use two rolls per gallon bag. Punch it down, flatten it out even across the whole bag. Then you cut away the sides, put your ingredients across the middle and use the plastic still under the sausage to aid in rolling it up. Pinch the ends shut and smoke away! I view it as more a novelty than anything, I would never do just fatties on the grill.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #475 on: October 05, 2010, 07:59:24 pm »
Roll the sausage out to 1/2", fill with sautéd peppers & onions, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, wrap with a bacon weave, etc... etc...  Roll it up like a jelly roll & seal the edges so the "goodies" don't fall out.  I was lazy & just dusted them...  Cheers!!!

Put the sausage in a ziplock, I use two rolls per gallon bag. Punch it down, flatten it out even across the whole bag. Then you cut away the sides, put your ingredients across the middle and use the plastic still under the sausage to aid in rolling it up. Pinch the ends shut and smoke away! I view it as more a novelty than anything, I would never do just fatties on the grill.
True. Fatties fill the gaps or even better yest include them with some ABT's, wings, Jap Poppers for hors d'oeuvres while the rest of the Que is chuggin' away...  Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #476 on: October 05, 2010, 08:02:31 pm »
I'm going to make one along with a brisket this weekend.  I'll try to post pics.
Fatties are the bomb diggity dogg!  ;D
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #477 on: October 05, 2010, 09:15:28 pm »
I think smoking a fattie will go over well. Probably throw my own twist on it like always. ;)

Was at walmart looking at their meat. Haven't bought any from them since last year because the product has "up to 12% added solution" on the tag. And it isn't cheap either. So I'm paying for 12% of liquid.

Still, the stuff is basically prebrined right?

Opinions?

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #478 on: October 06, 2010, 05:49:22 am »
I think smoking a fattie will go over well. Probably throw my own twist on it like always. ;)

Was at walmart looking at their meat. Haven't bought any from them since last year because the product has "up to 12% added solution" on the tag. And it isn't cheap either. So I'm paying for 12% of liquid.

Still, the stuff is basically prebrined right?

Opinions?

Pretty hard to get away from that "added solution" BS. Pretty much anything frozen has it, or anything cryopac'd.
My last hunk o meat was from the restaurant supply store - I didn't see anything like that on the label. Only thing I
hate about buying there is there is much less info on the packaging. Like you can read the label and see your shrimp
are from China or Thailand when you buy retail. No such labeling on their packaging.  :-\ Kinda makes sense,
the restaurants would only be looking at cost per unit to figure their profit. They don't care what they're feeding you.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #479 on: October 06, 2010, 06:29:51 am »
I think the best way to avoid "unknown" solutions or additives is to prepare your own "fresh" sausage.

Here's a recipe:

Homemade Pork Sausage Recipe

10 pounds ground pork
4 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons powdered sage
3 teaspoons powdered thyme
1 teaspoon ginger
1 ½ teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup cold water

Reduce quantities as required.