Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 459380 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #480 on: October 06, 2010, 10:03:29 am »
There's lots of fresh sausage recipes . . . I never bother packing them into casings, I just use it as loose sausage.  I got this one from a TV show with the Mexican cooking guy.  Rick Bayless?  I leave out the spinach powder because I don't have any, although I might make my own for the next batch.

Chorizo Verde
<edit - recipe moved to the sausage thread>
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:10:24 am by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #481 on: October 06, 2010, 10:21:59 am »
There's lots of fresh sausage recipes . . .

+1

There's as many variations as there are chef's in the kitchen.  ;)

Here's a good fatty recipe called "The Bacon Explosion"...Weaz would love this one.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:03:56 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #482 on: October 06, 2010, 11:26:51 am »
There's lots of fresh sausage recipes . . .

+1

There's as many variations as there are chef's in the kitchen.  ;)

Here's a good fatty recipe called "The Bacon Explosion"...Weaz would love this one.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

I think I just plugged an artery! :o  Dayamn that looks good...  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #483 on: October 06, 2010, 11:47:52 am »
Please! I want to go to pork Nirvana!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #484 on: October 06, 2010, 02:37:42 pm »
Our company equipment tech is building me a smoker/grill out of 20" well casing.  It will have 54" X 20" grilling surface, a 36" tall smoker with 3 shelves and hooks for hanging sausage or cheese at one end and a firebox with flat top at the other end.  It should weigh in at about 800 pounds when it's done but it will be great to have.  We're talking about mounting it on a trailer but I think I'd rather pour a slab for it under a shade tree behind the house.  I'll post pictures when it's done.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #485 on: October 06, 2010, 03:24:50 pm »
That sounds awesome, and don't forget the pictures!!  :o

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #486 on: October 06, 2010, 03:34:02 pm »
That sounds awesome, and don't forget the pictures!!  :o

+1

Looking forward to the end result via pics.  :)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #487 on: October 06, 2010, 09:52:15 pm »
Wow. Incredible. Stuffed mine with onion, garlic and pepper jack, Used #1hot sausage and #1 ground pork and one pack of bacon.

Ate four sandwiches. Whew.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #488 on: October 06, 2010, 09:55:19 pm »
I've been looking at the bacon explosion pretty much since it's been posted.  I must make one of these fatties.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #489 on: October 07, 2010, 04:37:48 am »
Wow. Incredible. Stuffed mine with onion, garlic and pepper jack, Used #1hot sausage and #1 ground pork and one pack of bacon.

Now that...my freind is a work of art.... and a thing of beauty.   ;)  8)
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #490 on: October 07, 2010, 09:40:44 am »

Lookin' real good!!!  First thing I thought of was Movin' Out by Billy Joel...  "can give you a
Heart attack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack".  Cheers!!!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #491 on: October 08, 2010, 01:04:19 pm »
I also did a thick rack of babybacks that night. Honestly it's not my favorite cut but it's all the store had. I prefer the meatier St Louis style cut. So I picked the thickest and most uniform rack I could find.

Regardless, inspired by Cap's "salt only" meat I decided just to do salt and pepper. No brining. No injecting. No rub. Plenty of coarse salt and pepper right before smoking for six hours at 225. I can honestly say these ribs turned out pretty darn good. Great flavor. Nothing disguising the meat. Just the smoke, the concentrated rib flavor and the soft and crunchy texture of the meat.

The previous rack (St Louis) was injected and rubbed. I actually got complements on them from people at work who don't often offer such comments. Hmm. Guess adding "pie-spice" to the rub and injection marries well with the meat too. But they were a little sweet for me, and that comes from my injecting process. Easily fixed.

So I'll definitely do salt only in the future. Anyone else try this? If not may I suggest...?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #492 on: October 09, 2010, 12:07:04 am »
Ok, I smoked some more cheese today.  Tillamook cheddar, hickory smoked.  Ambient temp varied from 59-69F during the smoke, ~7 hours.

Start of smoke:

Almost the end of smoke:

Color comparison to fresh cheese from the same 5 lb block.  They definitely seem smaller, although you can't really compare the sizes of the smoked on the left to the not-smoked on the right, they weren't exactly uniform when I cut them.  The smoked ones have a crust of some sort, but I'm not sure if the cheese looks much different from cheese left at that temp and humidity for 7 hours would without smoking it.  I read somewhere I should wipe them before wrapping, and this time there was drops of oil/fat on the surface, so that's good.  Not so much last time.

Anyway, they're wrapped and "resting" for a week or ten days.  I'll do some more cheddar and probably some gouda, but this time with cherry.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #493 on: October 09, 2010, 12:15:14 am »
Do you have a hole in your sock Tom?

The cheese looks pretty good actually. Its color has deepened. I bet it'll be pretty smoky after 7 hours. Let time do it's thing. Next time weigh each piece to see if there's any evaporation going on.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #494 on: October 09, 2010, 12:20:10 am »
Do you have a hole in your sock Tom?
;D  Nope, gold toe.

The cheese looks pretty good actually. Its color has deepened. I bet it'll be pretty smoky after 7 hours. Let time do it's thing. Next time weigh each piece to see if there's any evaporation going on.
Yeah, I'm going to weigh them next time and see what the deal is.  If I remember.  ;)
Tom Schmidlin