Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 459399 times)

boulderbrewer

Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #570 on: October 22, 2010, 09:58:58 pm »
I can catch none of that from home!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #571 on: October 22, 2010, 10:11:06 pm »
I can catch none of that from home!

Neither can I.  :(
Ron Price

boulderbrewer

« Reply #572 on: October 22, 2010, 10:21:48 pm »
I'm 100 feet from pan fish though

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #573 on: October 22, 2010, 10:39:34 pm »
Hey Bluesman, that smoked fish case looks like the one at Bells Market, only smaller. Just past that is the smoked meat and sausage section. You would love that store, pretty cheap too.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #574 on: October 22, 2010, 11:37:51 pm »
Trying to decide what to BBQ this weekend.  ???

Maybe some ribs or some smoked fish or...?
This is a picture of beauty.  :)

I was thinking of smoked salmon but similar to a fatty. De-skin a fillet maybe butterfly it too and then use a light seafood stuffing to roll up the meat with. Wrap and tie the skin back around the roll fat-side in. Low and slow 200-225 for a couple hours till it's a bit crispy. Not enough skin would be the main problem.

Probably not the first to think of it... ;)

That case full of fish is awesome!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #575 on: October 23, 2010, 09:08:28 am »
Hey Bluesman, that smoked fish case looks like the one at Bells Market, only smaller. Just past that is the smoked meat and sausage section. You would love that store, pretty cheap too.

It's supercalafragalisticexpialidocious!  ;D
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #576 on: October 23, 2010, 09:12:53 am »

I was thinking of smoked salmon but similar to a fatty. De-skin a fillet maybe butterfly it too and then use a light seafood stuffing to roll up the meat with. Wrap and tie the skin back around the roll fat-side in. Low and slow 200-225 for a couple hours till it's a bit crispy. Not enough skin would be the main problem.

I'm thinking about this...and it is hot smoked. What temp do you think would be good.  :-\

Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #577 on: October 23, 2010, 10:59:14 am »

It's supercalafragalisticexpialidocious!  ;D

Is that Bells Market?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #578 on: October 23, 2010, 11:22:36 am »

I'm thinking about this...and it is hot smoked. What temp do you think would be good.  :-\

I wouldn't go over 200F. Maybe something like 165 for 2.5-3 hours. It'll be cooked through. Get the fattiest piece that you can so it'll remain juicy and unctuous.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #579 on: October 23, 2010, 11:30:35 am »
The wild salmon never has much fat. The really marbled fatty salmon is the farm raised Atlantic salmon I think? Whats up with that? We used to get the fatty farm raised stuff all the time but now that I have been made aware of the disregardful behavior of the producers we are put off.

Ill have to admit though, that fatty stuff is good. Maybe I am looking at the wrong thing? Or fatty wild salmon is just not available around here.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #580 on: October 23, 2010, 12:39:40 pm »
Or fatty wild salmon is just not available around here.

This is what I'm afraid of...

Maybe I'll just try some farm raised for a trial run.  :-\
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #581 on: October 23, 2010, 12:58:09 pm »
That steel head trout that looks just like salmon smokes up nicely.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #582 on: October 23, 2010, 02:35:01 pm »
That steel head trout that looks just like salmon smokes up nicely.

I actually prefer a good piece of Steelhead trout (Rainbow trout) but it lately it's been hard to come by. Ten years ago it was right there next to the salmon- always beautiful, and a buck or two cheaper. Now I rarely see it and it isn't cheaper than the least expensive specie of salmon, which is usually Atlantic farm-raised.

I know it isn't "popular" but I really like the Atlantic salmon. It has a nice velvety texture, a consistent flavor and the fat content makes it harder to overcook. I can't do $20/lb Wild Chinook or Coho. :'( In fact I've been less pleased with wild salmon on a few occasions, but then it was cheaper than usual...

The Steelhead looks like it would do coldsmoking well.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #583 on: October 23, 2010, 08:34:45 pm »
The Steelhead looks like it would do coldsmoking well.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

is something to put on the list of things to smoke.

For sure.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #584 on: October 24, 2010, 12:29:08 pm »
Didn't go for the fish yesterday. Instead I went the el-cheapo route: spatchcocked cornish rock hen, some country-style ribs, a fattie and two large stuffed bell-peppers.

I stuffed the fattie with sharp cheddar and fresh cilantro! The little hen turned out just right with salt and pepper and the bacon keeping it moist- 200F for 2.75 hours. To my surprise she stole the show from the fattie. The pork should have been cooked at a higher temp for a shorter time. It's still ok and will be incorporated into various dishes throughout next week. Some might get frozen.

These were my first stuffed bell-peppers. I felt they could have gone a bit longer than 3.5 hours so sealed them up in a plastic container to rest under their own heat. Turned out nice- great sliced on crusty French bread.

I'm gonna fire the smoker up again and do fish and wings. ::)

Or maybe a couple more rock-hens. :D