Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462615 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #615 on: November 07, 2010, 05:48:57 pm »
Back in 94 when I was living in Austin a buddy convinced his dad to bankroll an enterprise to Africa. He loaded up a van in a shipping container and packed a bunch of appliances in there. He may have gone to Liberia but it was definitely on that West coast. Sold everything quickly at a profit except the van. The problem was it was a gasoline engine and everyone wanted diesel. He sold it though eventually. 

He romped around Africa a bit and caught malaria. He then ended up in Europe where he blew the rest of the money. Boy was his dad pissed. 

I think it's worth looking into this mesquite business. When a rancher clears land around here there's huge piles of it laying around. Perhaps they would let someone haul it off for pennies or even free.

If anything it might be a fun experience!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #616 on: November 07, 2010, 07:13:20 pm »
I think it's worth looking into this mesquite business. When a rancher clears land around here there's huge piles of it laying around. Perhaps they would let someone haul it off for pennies or even free.

If anything it might be a fun experience!
I think it would be an awesome experience!

But I'm not even going to bring this one up to SWMBO, no point in having her looking at me like I'm more crazy than she thought.   ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #617 on: November 07, 2010, 08:21:44 pm »
Where I live mesquite is just a damn nuisance.  It grows everywhere, you can't kill it, and the thorns will flatten truck tires.  But when new drilling locations are built lots of mesquite gets bulldozed so I pick it up all the time.
As for shipping to France, there are no restrictions on shipping live plants.  I shipped 6 dry root pecan trees to my BIL last spring, and before I did it I checked the EU regulations.
My BIL has tried growing green chiles in France(he's a farmer) but the growing season is too short.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #618 on: November 08, 2010, 01:32:30 am »
Where I live mesquite is just a damn nuisance.  It grows everywhere, you can't kill it, and the thorns will flatten truck tires.  But when new drilling locations are built lots of mesquite gets bulldozed so I pick it up all the time.
As for shipping to France, there are no restrictions on shipping live plants.  I shipped 6 dry root pecan trees to my BIL last spring, and before I did it I checked the EU regulations.
My BIL has tried growing green chiles in France(he's a farmer) but the growing season is too short.

I'm really surprised to hear there aren't any restrictions. I'd think from a conservation perspective, they'd be worried about little invasive buggies coming over and infecting all of Europe, like what happened in the US with the Asian Long-horned Beetle.

If you guys DO decide to truck all over selling mesquite, contact the Big Green Egg dealerships in France and Germany (the ones in France are along the German border so it's not too far), I'm sure they'll be interested.

One thing I've noticed about BBQ in Europe, it's like Germany resurrected the Sigfried Line. If you want to buy anything like a smoker, you gotta head towards the German border, no matter what country you're in.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #619 on: November 08, 2010, 08:36:14 am »
I made my own smoked chili this weekend with various leftovers of frozen smoked BBQ meat.  I used brisket, chicken breast, wild boar burgers, beef jerky and italian sausage.  For beans, I used a bean and lentil mix I had sitting around, as well as some black beans.  For my liquid, I used a bomber of Sierra Nevada Golden Ticket Baltic Porter.  Then I added a bunch of mole sauce I had kicking around that also needed to be used up.  Tossed in a can of corn niblets too.

It smells and tastes great, tons of smoky goodness.  Took some over to my parents, and they declared it the best chili they have ever eaten.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:09:59 am by markaberrant »

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #620 on: November 08, 2010, 11:59:54 am »
Then I added a bunch of mole sauce I had kicking around that also needed to be used up.
Man, I had this Mole mix that I was thinking of whipping up to go in the chili, but I wasn't sure how the flavors would mesh. I'll know to give it a shot next time.
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #621 on: November 08, 2010, 12:18:29 pm »
I think mole's rich flavors will complement any chili. Usually I include unsweetened baker's chocolate to my mine. I've never added mole but I have a jar in the fridge that needs using up soon.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #622 on: November 08, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »

One thing I've noticed about BBQ in Europe, it's like Germany resurrected the Sigfried Line. If you want to buy anything like a smoker, you gotta head towards the German border, no matter what country you're in.

I barbecue a lot for my inlaws in France but their grills are pretty basic.  The big ones are water heaters cut in half.  You can put a lot of chicken on one but temp control is pretty much out of the question.  One BIL has a Weber type grill that he paid around $250 for but it's pretty small and not very well designed.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #623 on: November 08, 2010, 12:54:08 pm »
Louie Mueller Barbecue, located in Taylor, Texas is an authentic Texas barbecue establishment founded in 1949

If I ever go to Texas, this is a place I want to eat at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfoNV1acCz0
Ron Price

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #624 on: November 08, 2010, 01:35:58 pm »
I think mole's rich flavors will complement any chili. Usually I include unsweetened baker's chocolate to my mine. I've never added mole but I have a jar in the fridge that needs using up soon.

I have also used baker's chocolate before with good results.  When using mole, if it is a spicy one, you may need to back off on your other pepper/heat/spice additions.

Also, for Learn to Homebrew Day, we fired up my friend's UDS smoker and made a mess of chicken thighs and 3 kinds of sausages for lunch.  Pretty tasty, and hit the spot seeing as we had started sampling beer at 8am.

When it comes to smoking poultry, my best results by far have been with skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs using my standard rub, and then brushing with my standard sauce before serving. I have never been happy with my attempts at whole chicken or turkey, though a spatchcocked chicken might fare better with most of the skin facing down.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #625 on: November 09, 2010, 06:41:00 am »
I barbecue a lot for my inlaws in France but their grills are pretty basic.  The big ones are water heaters cut in half.  You can put a lot of chicken on one but temp control is pretty much out of the question.  One BIL has a Weber type grill that he paid around $250 for but it's pretty small and not very well designed.

Yup. Most of my friends (save one) have "bbq grills" which are basically electric or gas skillets. The one guy I know has a Weber Genesis, although he spent some time in Germany so I think it rubbed off on him.

When we moved here, we decided to ship two things: our king-size bed, and our Large Big Green Egg. We told the movers, "load the egg and the bed first, and then fit in whatever else you can." Left behind a couch, TV console, and a nice chair because my priority was the Egg. SO glad I did it, because as you said, whatever you can find out here is usually crap.

One nice thing about BBQ out here, though. I can't remember what they're called, but I've got a bag of dried grapevine that I throw on to the grill when I'm doing steaks and such. They're super super cheap and give a nice dose of smoke without forcing me to resort to my stash of contraband mesquite and hickory.
----

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #626 on: November 09, 2010, 07:53:13 am »
My SIL cooked a leg of lamb in her fireplace last year over grapevines, pretty damn fine eating.  Since my inlaws live in a wine area there are lots of old vines to be had.  With a proper smoker or grill those could turn out some very fine barbecue.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #627 on: November 12, 2010, 08:47:17 am »
some recent stuff off the eggs.....

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #628 on: November 12, 2010, 09:03:25 am »
BBQ'd Salmon on a cedar plank is one of my favorites.
Where do you get your cedar from and how long do you soak it prior to Qing.

I like to marinade my salmon for at least 2 hrs in a honey teriyaki sauce using frech garlic and ginger prior to hitting the grill.
I'm going to have to pick some up for the weekend BBQ.

Fantastic looking Q as usual!
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #629 on: November 12, 2010, 10:54:51 am »
Baby in a pumpkin!  Hilarious!   ;D
Tom Schmidlin