Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 461724 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #630 on: November 12, 2010, 11:07:11 am »
You use a dry rub on the baby? How long in the smoker? ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #631 on: November 12, 2010, 11:19:35 am »
BBQ'd Salmon on a cedar plank is one of my favorites.
Where do you get your cedar from and how long do you soak it prior to Qing.

I like to marinade my salmon for at least 2 hrs in a honey teriyaki sauce using frech garlic and ginger prior to hitting the grill.
I'm going to have to pick some up for the weekend BBQ.

Fantastic looking Q as usual!

thanks!

those are actually those cedar "papers".  pretty thin.  i don't soak them.  got them off woot a couple months ago.  i actually used them on this particular fish because the skin was on and i didn't want it to stick to the grill and fall apart as i was pulling it out.  
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #632 on: November 20, 2010, 01:33:22 am »
Doing a "choice" chuck roast (boneless). Rubbed and awaiting overnight in the fridge.

Have a dilemma: do it fast and slice thin or low and slow with a foiled resting?

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #633 on: November 20, 2010, 03:01:40 am »
I'd go low and slow for pulled beef. 

As for spatchcock chicken, any pointers on the procedure?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #634 on: November 20, 2010, 11:37:33 am »
I'd go low and slow for pulled beef.  

As for spatchcock chicken, any pointers on the procedure?

Cutting the backbone out is easy- kitchen shears/scissors seem safer to me than a knife. I go slow skin side up with my chicken- about 225F for 2.5 hours or until the juices run clear. I test the thigh with my thermapen and if it's over 165 then I remove it.

The other way is go hot (375F) for about an hour flipping it at least once.

I like to rub a bit compound butter under the skin. Plain salted works well too. Bacon layered over the skin will keep it a bit more moist but not necessary. I just like bacon... ;)

Think I'll do a chicken too. I'm making most of this for my folks. They don't cook much anymore but they like to eat! Portion it out and vacuum seal- they can reheat and have it whenever they want.

I'll do the low and slow for the beef then. Thanks.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #635 on: November 20, 2010, 12:00:06 pm »
i do mine slow and low like a pork butt.

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #636 on: November 21, 2010, 12:53:13 pm »
I did the roast for about three hours around 225-250F and then double-foiled it for another 2 hours when internal was over 165F. When the internal temp reached about 212 (a little higher than I wanted- 205F) I removed the package. This got wrapped in a bath-towel and then placed inside a soft lunch cooler with a temp probe. I wrapped the cooler in another towel and placed the whole thing in my unlit oven for about 3 hours.

The temp slowly dropped to about 125F. I pulled the beef with my gloved hands... Amazing. Literally fell apart in nice strands and I mixed a small amount of sauce in. Delicious.

Reminds me so much of Barbacoa I can't believe it. Well without the grease... ;)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #637 on: November 21, 2010, 01:40:08 pm »
I did the roast for about three hours around 225-250F and then double-foiled it for another 2 hours when internal was over 165F. When the internal temp reached about 212 (a little higher than I wanted- 205F) I removed the package. This got wrapped in a bath-towel and then placed inside a soft lunch cooler with a temp probe. I wrapped the cooler in another towel and placed the whole thing in my unlit oven for about 3 hours.

The temp slowly dropped to about 125F. I pulled the beef with my gloved hands... Amazing. Literally fell apart in nice strands and I mixed a small amount of sauce in. Delicious.

Reminds me so much of Barbacoa I can't believe it. Well without the grease... ;)

What do you feel is the advantage to foiling? 

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #638 on: November 21, 2010, 02:55:39 pm »
I feel it helps finish out the meat in a manner similar to a braise.  Keeps it from drying out while continuing to break down the collagen and muscle fibers.  When I opened the foil before towelling it steamed but there wasn't any liquid and only a just a bit of fat. Perfect.

I've done ribs like this as mentioned way back in this thread.  Called the 3-2-1 method.

Now I think any tough cut like a brisket, butt or shoulder could benefit from foiling at some latter part of the process.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #639 on: November 22, 2010, 12:55:15 pm »
I only foil once the meat comes off the smoker.  Turns out plenty moist.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #640 on: November 22, 2010, 01:24:10 pm »
So I picked up some pork spare ribs, but I have no smoker. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to cook these bad boys up?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #641 on: November 22, 2010, 02:19:44 pm »
So I picked up some pork spare ribs, but I have no smoker. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to cook these bad boys up?

do you have a crock pot or dutch oven?

AHA# 196703

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #642 on: November 22, 2010, 02:25:30 pm »
I have both. Whatcha got in mind?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #643 on: November 22, 2010, 02:41:49 pm »
My MIL makes some awesome c^@(& pot ribs, but I don't have the recipe.  It should be easy enough to google one, but maybe somewhere here has a tried a true one  . . .

<edit> edited potentially offensive word ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:48:26 pm by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #644 on: November 22, 2010, 02:45:11 pm »
Love them c%$#^ pot ribs.  Shhhh....don't say that word.

The AHA culinary wizard will come after you.  :D
Ron Price