Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462478 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #645 on: November 22, 2010, 02:48:39 pm »
I have both. Whatcha got in mind?

i found this on the bbq-brethren forum....

"Seared them quickly on the weber kettle and then put in a cast iron dutch oven on smoker at 250 for a few hours. Use a braising liquid of dark beer, onions, garlic, carrots etc. Just leave the top off the dutch oven and you get a nice smokey flavor into the ribs and braising liquid."

substitute oven for smoker and leave the top on and cut down on the time.  if you choose this method, i'd watch them close.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #646 on: November 22, 2010, 02:52:18 pm »
So I picked up some pork spare ribs, but I have no smoker. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to cook these bad boys up?

Do you have a gas grill?  Some hickory chips in a foil pouch with toothpick size holes punched into it will work. Heat & chips on one side. Ribs & no heat on the other side. Just have to play with it a little to get it right.  Cheers!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #647 on: November 22, 2010, 03:14:14 pm »
You could try the Alton Brown method. Season and wrap in foil. In a 250ish oven for about 2.5 hours. Then drain and reduce liquid.  Open foil and baste ribs with it. Pop in oven at 375 until carmelized.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #648 on: November 22, 2010, 03:20:47 pm »
You could try the Alton Brown method. Season and wrap in foil. In a 250ish oven for about 2.5 hours. Then drain and reduce liquid.  Open foil and baste ribs with it. Pop in oven at 375 until carmelized.

I've used a similiar method. 

I marinate the ribs in 50/50 beer and tomato juice with plenty of your favorite dry rub overnight.
Then cover with aluminum foil and bake at 250F for about three hours. Drain the marinade, brush with your favorit BBQ sauce and broil on low until caramelized.

Ron Price

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #649 on: November 22, 2010, 04:02:35 pm »
Oven method sounds easiest, but not smokey. I'll have to debate this for a bit.

Thanks guys!
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #650 on: November 22, 2010, 05:10:55 pm »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #651 on: November 22, 2010, 07:24:17 pm »
Anybody smoking or grilling the turkey? 

I just got a 14 lb fresh killed turkey today at the Italian market. Picked it out of a cage and then it went to the back. Chop chop, 20 mins later it was dressed and ready to go. The place stunk so I didn't go into watch. I was told to get it a few days in advance so the meat can "relax" a few days before cooking.

Im gonna reverse spatchcock the turkey and do it over an open fire Argentine style. Salt only.

But, I do have to do some smoking. Just got an amazing gift from a bud who drove down to Georgia to go pig hunting. He got 11, but three were males and got tossed. (not sure why males are no good). . He iced up the truck and drove back to NJ with a bed full of pigs. He gave me a gigantic leg of pork.

It is 15-20lbs, had to break it down cause no room. Im half way done in the pic. Would have been great to roast it whole over the coals but no way.

Im gonna cure and smoke some of it.

I was worried that it would be real gamy lik those Russian boars, they are awful tasting. I also thought it would be stringy and tough cause it is so big. But man is this pork delicious. Almost like regular domestic pork but a hint of that wild flavor.

Really nice, if I lived down there I would hunt pigs regular for sure, wouldnt need much.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #652 on: November 22, 2010, 07:51:53 pm »
Nice score on the porker!

I was thinking about trying a fresh turkey this year buted opted for a frozen.  It's a 20 pounder.  I just put it in a cooler full of water to start thawing out.

The wife wants to roast it in the oven which is fine by me.  I wanted to smoke a smaller twelve pounder that I have,but it would be too much, I'll save it for another time soon.
Ron Price

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #653 on: November 22, 2010, 09:35:37 pm »
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #654 on: November 23, 2010, 12:46:57 am »
Anybody smoking or grilling the turkey?  

But, I do have to do some smoking. Just got an amazing gift from a bud who drove down to Georgia to go pig hunting. He got 11, but three were males and got tossed. (not sure why males are no good). . He iced up the truck and drove back to NJ with a bed full of pigs. He gave me a gigantic leg of pork.

I picked up a 19 pound turkey, I plan to butcher it and smoke it in pieces.

A friend of mine goes wild pig hunting, he said if you shoot an "intact" male it is super gamy and very much not good eats.  But he sometimes shoots "bars", which apparently is a boar that has been castrated.  When they are hunting and the dogs find a young male, the guides slice it and set it free so they can hunt it in a couple of years.  He smoked a shoulder from one when I was there once - he's from NC, his sauce used Bone Sucking Sauce as a base.  I'm not sure what else he did to it, but it was most excellent.  
Tom Schmidlin

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #655 on: November 23, 2010, 08:35:13 am »
We usually get a fresh turkey from the Amish folks, but this year someone else is doing the cooking.  I hear they got a fresh one, but I don't know where from, most likely the grocery.  :(    I am a bit skeptical about how this feast will turn out, but at least all I have to do is make dinner rolls. ;)  Almost talked them into smoking it and then finishing it in the oven, but there was some questioning the flavor of the gravy.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #656 on: November 23, 2010, 01:02:08 pm »
Oven method sounds easiest, but not smokey. I'll have to debate this for a bit.

Thanks guys!

You can give them a dry rub, cook them low and slow in the oven, and then finish them on the grill to crisp them up and give them color.  If you want them to be smoky, you can always put some ground chipotles in your dry rub.  Or serve with a smoky BBQ sauce.

I use the gas grill method a lot too.  Damp wood wrapped in foil, holes poked in it, on the lit side of the grill.  Ribs on the unlit side.  You can combine this with the oven method too, depending on how much smoke you want.  It can be a little harder to control the temperature this way.

Spare ribs have a lot more fat on them, so you don't have to worry about them drying out as much as baby backs.  I still like to wrap them and let them rest after cooking, though.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #657 on: November 23, 2010, 01:51:10 pm »
I'm doing a turkey this year to help my mom out, who usually does the whole feast for the family.  Spatchcocked and cajun-spiced, then smoked or smoke-roasted, I think, with the backbone and other trimmings roasted then boiled to make a stock for gravy.  I might also try that trick of herb butter under the skin.  Couldn't hurt!  :D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #658 on: November 23, 2010, 03:09:19 pm »
I want to smoke a turkey, duck, chicken...or turducken.  :)

A turducken is a dish consisting of a de-boned chicken stuffed into a de-boned duck, which itself is stuffed into a de-boned turkey. The word turducken is a portmanteau of turkey, duck, and chicken or hen.

The birds can be stuffed in layers with a cranberry sauage stuffing mixture.
Then smoked...low and slow...probably an overnighter.

Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #659 on: November 23, 2010, 05:33:32 pm »
I'm going to smoke a 13 pounder and cook a 12 pounder in the oven.  Any suggestions for a brining recipe for the smoked one?  It will be smoked over applewood probably, with maybe a little pecan thrown in there.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico