Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462459 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #660 on: November 23, 2010, 06:33:29 pm »
I want to smoke a turkey, duck, chicken...or turducken.  :)

Ordered one from cajun-grocer once....ONCE.
Big let down. I didn't smoke mine; and you'll probably have much better stuffing.
If I found the time, I'd give it a go like you're going to do.
Buying turducken ready to go is not something I'd recommend.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #661 on: November 23, 2010, 06:35:40 pm »
I'm going to smoke a 13 pounder and cook a 12 pounder in the oven.  Any suggestions for a brining recipe for the smoked one?  It will be smoked over applewood probably, with maybe a little pecan thrown in there.

Wash it, salt it, smoke it. It will be good. (I've never brined, not that I'm against it, just haven't)
I smoked two last year, one just salted - the other with bone sucking sauce.
Both very good, just depends what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:41:41 pm by beerocd »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #662 on: November 23, 2010, 06:44:58 pm »
I'm going to smoke a 13 pounder and cook a 12 pounder in the oven.  Any suggestions for a brining recipe for the smoked one?  It will be smoked over applewood probably, with maybe a little pecan thrown in there.

13 lbs is a good size to smoke.

Brine the Turkey for 24 hrs.

2 quarts apple juice
1 lb brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 quarts water
3 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, sliced thin
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
vegetable oil or melted, unsalted butter

Smoke the Turkey at 350F for 2.5 hrs to acieve an internal temp of 169F.

Good Luck!

Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #663 on: November 23, 2010, 06:46:13 pm »
I want to smoke a turkey, duck, chicken...or turducken.  :)

Ordered one from cajun-grocer once....ONCE.
Big let down. I didn't smoke mine; and you'll probably have much better stuffing.
If I found the time, I'd give it a go like you're going to do.
Buying turducken ready to go is not something I'd recommend.

Great advice.

I would buy all three birds fresh and prepare them myself.  You know how us homebrewers think.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #664 on: November 23, 2010, 06:52:44 pm »

Good Luck!

So you smoke hot and fast to leave in the moisture? Cuz that's why you're brining in the first place?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #665 on: November 23, 2010, 06:54:47 pm »

Good Luck!

So you smoke hot and fast to leave in the moisture? Cuz that's why you're brining in the first place?

It renders a fantastic smoked turkey. Hot and fast...the only way to smoke a turkey.  Try it sometime.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #666 on: November 23, 2010, 10:26:14 pm »
Anybody smoking or grilling the turkey? 

I just got a 14 lb fresh killed turkey today at the Italian market. Picked it out of a cage and then it went to the back. Chop chop, 20 mins later it was dressed and ready to go. The place stunk so I didn't go into watch. I was told to get it a few days in advance so the meat can "relax" a few days before cooking.

Im gonna reverse spatchcock the turkey and do it over an open fire Argentine style. Salt only.

But, I do have to do some smoking. Just got an amazing gift from a bud who drove down to Georgia to go pig hunting. He got 11, but three were males and got tossed. (not sure why males are no good). . He iced up the truck and drove back to NJ with a bed full of pigs. He gave me a gigantic leg of pork.

It is 15-20lbs, had to break it down cause no room. Im half way done in the pic. Would have been great to roast it whole over the coals but no way.

Im gonna cure and smoke some of it.

I was worried that it would be real gamy lik those Russian boars, they are awful tasting. I also thought it would be stringy and tough cause it is so big. But man is this pork delicious. Almost like regular domestic pork but a hint of that wild flavor.

Really nice, if I lived down there I would hunt pigs regular for sure, wouldnt need much.

i like to do my birds reverse as well.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #667 on: November 24, 2010, 02:42:07 am »
I'm going to smoke a 13 pounder and cook a 12 pounder in the oven.  Any suggestions for a brining recipe for the smoked one?  It will be smoked over applewood probably, with maybe a little pecan thrown in there.
I think this is worth a read . . . I haven't tried "dry brining" a turkey (I don't see how this is really different from rubbing it) but I might for this year's smoked turkey effort.

http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2010/11/a_tale_of_two_turkeys.html

<edit> Forgot link . . .  ::)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 03:04:39 am by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #668 on: November 24, 2010, 03:03:33 am »
In case you missed it, it is really cold in the NW and we've had a blizzard (this is all NW relative).  We got about 2.5 inches of snow, and schools were closed Tuesday and Wednesday.  Yes, I know that is really nothing, but it happens so rarely here we just don't have the equipment to deal with it.

Anyway, this means getting together with the neighbors for some food and beverages . . . I decided to make a Bacon Explosion that we could have for dinner.  It turned out great, I've already been asked it make it again :)

I need a little practice making it look better (more uniform), but it was still delicious.  It was interesting to bbq when the weather is this cold, it averaged about 18F for the 4 hours it took to smoke (and it's currently 13.5F) so I had to heat the grill more than usual to keep a good temp.  I smoked it with mesquite, 2 lbs of bacon and 2 lbs of maple sausage with homemade bbq sauce and rub.

Tom Schmidlin

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #669 on: November 24, 2010, 03:10:36 am »
Foiling a packer brisket or boston butt makes sense because you can get the color you want on the bark, and then wrap 'em, usually around 170F until finished.  But foiling ribs just isn't my thing.  I mean, how long do you cook them for anyway?  4-5 hrs?  Foiling seems an easy way to really overcook them.  I like to be able to see them.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #670 on: November 24, 2010, 03:39:15 am »

Good Luck!

It renders a fantastic smoked turkey. Hot and fast...the only way to smoke a turkey.  Try it sometime.

I will be stealing this for my smoked turkey. Doing a 12-pounder smoked and another 12-pounder fried. Assuming the burner gets here on time...
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #671 on: November 24, 2010, 05:46:03 am »

Anyway, this means getting together with the neighbors for some food and beverages . . . I decided to make a Bacon Explosion that we could have for dinner.  It turned out great, I've already been asked it make it again :)

That's awesome Tom.  I've been looking for an excuse to make one of those since I first saw the recipe awhile back.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #672 on: November 24, 2010, 05:51:31 am »
that's a beautiful bacon creation up there.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #673 on: November 24, 2010, 06:56:47 am »
I need a little practice making it look better (more uniform), but it was still delicious.  It was interesting to bbq when the weather is this cold, it averaged about 18F for the 4 hours it took to smoke (and it's currently 13.5F) so I had to heat the grill more than usual to keep a good temp.  I smoked it with mesquite, 2 lbs of bacon and 2 lbs of maple sausage with homemade bbq sauce and rub.

Nice work Tom!  8)
Ron Price

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #674 on: November 24, 2010, 07:13:49 am »
Sitting here drooling like a dog.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee