Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 461973 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #735 on: November 30, 2010, 05:55:48 pm »
I got my "monstrosity" as my wife calls it just in time to smoke some turkeys for Thanksgiving.  But for a whole day I burned some old Kingsford briquets in the firebox while spraying all surfaces with veggie oil.  After a day of heat and a pint of oil all the grills were well seasoned.  Now it'll just be a matter of scraping chunks off as needed. ;D
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #736 on: November 30, 2010, 06:24:08 pm »
i've never cleaned my grill besides removing ash and scraping the grate before i drop food on it.  am i the only one?
No your not the only one, I never clean any of my out door cooking gear. I just put it on the fire burn it off then brush it down liberally with cooking oil as it cools. This is how you season it. If it isn't stainless cleaning it off with soap or down to steel will promote rust. Just like a cast iron pan.
I even brush the smoker inside and out with oil regularly. It builds up.
So I guess I dont clean my outdoor stuff. I dirty it.  ::)

Dirty. The fire goes for almost an hour before I drop the food on it. I wire brush the grate prior to adding food. Clean the ash from the last smoke before starting the new one. That's it; no aches pains or complaints...  ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:26:27 pm by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #737 on: November 30, 2010, 06:45:10 pm »
how about bacon wrapped duck breasts.....  soaked the duck in buttermilk overnight and seasoned it, wrapped it in bacon and grilled.....

Yumm!  What's the buttermilk do?
John Childs

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #738 on: November 30, 2010, 06:50:18 pm »
Butter milk is a great marinade for fowl, the healthy bacteria and fats in butter milk help the meat start breaking down to become more tender.

For really good fried chicken.Start by marinading the chicken parts in buttermilk. Then dredge them in flour drop them in a pan full of hot lard and you will have the best fried chicken in the world. Coarse you have to add some other flavors but Im not giving away my secret mixture of eleven herbs and spices.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #739 on: November 30, 2010, 07:32:04 pm »
Then dredge them in flour drop them in a pan full of hot lard and you will have the best fried chicken in the world. Coarse you have to add some other flavors but Im not giving away my secret mixture of eleven herbs and spices.

Meat salt and oil, Cap, meat salt and oil.  Anything more, and you're a Philistine!  :D

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #740 on: November 30, 2010, 07:55:21 pm »
I couldn't imagine not keeping a smoker or grill clean.  That is pretty nasty when you think about it.

If find the UDS is really easy to clean.  With no water pan, the drippings hit the charcoal and burn up, and I don't use sauces or marinades during the cooking process either, so none of that crap is dripping all over either.

i've never cleaned my grill besides removing ash and scraping the grate before i drop food on it.  am i the only one?

No your not the only one, I never clean any of my out door cooking gear. I just put it on the fire burn it off then brush it down liberally with cooking oil as it cools. This is how you season it. If it isn't stainless cleaning it off with soap or down to steel will promote rust. Just like a cast iron pan.

I even brush the smoker inside and out with oil regularly. It builds up.

So I guess I dont clean my outdoor stuff. I dirty it.  ::)

the eggs are all some ceramic type stuff, so i'm guessing burning it out is my best option.  i went over to the bge forum and did a search for it and burn out comes up constantly.  that said, i've done high temp cooks, but never a full burnout.  i've not noticed much stuff in there really.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #741 on: November 30, 2010, 08:13:04 pm »
Dirty. The fire goes for almost an hour before I drop the food on it. I wire brush the grate prior to adding food. Clean the ash from the last smoke before starting the new one. That's it; no aches pains or complaints...  ;)

This is the way I prefer to Q.

I like to get the grill nice and hot before I begin the session.  This process sanitizes the grates prior to cooking. I brush the grates before lighting the charcoal and just prior to loading the grate. Then when I'm finished cooking, I brush down the grates and apply some vegetable oil to prevent rusting.

As a grill becomes seasoned it builds up a layer of char that imparts a distinct flavor of it's own to the cooked food.
Ron Price

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #742 on: November 30, 2010, 08:31:54 pm »
Butter milk is a great marinade for fowl, the healthy bacteria and fats in butter milk help the meat start breaking down to become more tender.

For really good fried chicken.Start by marinading the chicken parts in buttermilk. Then dredge them in flour drop them in a pan full of hot lard and you will have the best fried chicken in the world. Coarse you have to add some other flavors but Im not giving away my secret mixture of eleven herbs and spices.

Thanks Colonel..er, Cap.  That sounds delicious!
John Childs

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #743 on: November 30, 2010, 08:39:21 pm »

Hey, wait a minute - didn't you say just a few posts ago that you scrub it so clean you could see yourself in it?
Which is it? Dirty or Clean?

BRING BACK THE CLOWN!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #744 on: November 30, 2010, 08:48:46 pm »

Hey, wait a minute - didn't you say just a few posts ago that you scrub it so clean you could see yourself in it?
Which is it? Dirty or Clean?

BRING BACK THE CLOWN!

The clown is sitting in front of this computer.  ;D

LOL

The water pan to the smoker is what I was referring to being cleaned.

But...the grill and smoker body are layered with charred goodness that should never be touched.

The grates however are cleaned as I described.

Ron Price

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #745 on: December 03, 2010, 06:11:15 am »
The water pan to the smoker is what I was referring to being cleaned.

But...the grill and smoker body are layered with charred goodness that should never be touched.

The grates however are cleaned as I described.

This is what I meant by "cleaning" too.  When I said "nasty" it was more about having some gross looking water pan with all sorts of goop and an inch or two of water left sitting in it.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #746 on: December 11, 2010, 12:05:12 pm »
i seasoned this fish with olive oil, dizzy pig shakin' the tree and tsunami spin along with some sea salt.  crab stuffed potatoes...

thanks for looking!

AHA# 196703

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #747 on: December 11, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »
You have really nice lighting in your kitchen, or is that the camera?

Food looks great too.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #748 on: December 11, 2010, 03:28:43 pm »
If you want even better fried chicken, do what he mentions above only mix in some cornstarch with the flour... makes it extra crispy.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #749 on: December 11, 2010, 09:18:31 pm »
how about bacon wrapped duck breasts.....  soaked the duck in buttermilk overnight and seasoned it, wrapped it in bacon and grilled.....

Yumm!  What's the buttermilk do?

sorry, just saw this.  i think it may take some of the gamieness out of it.  some people use a jar of "italian dressing", but i can't stand that stuff.  i know people use buttermilk with deer, so i just went with it.  the duck was delicious.  maybe it would have been delicious anyway. 

AHA# 196703