Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: maris otter flavor?  (Read 7020 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: maris otter flavor?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 01:14:01 pm »
I dont have access to MO, thats why i am asking, thanks for your comments!

And that great smooth bitterness that you feel at the end when you taste yeti, how do you do that? because its not hoppy aroma. I was thinking it 40% of my hop bill at FWH and 60% at 60 minutes. Also adjusting my water salts to enhance maltiness...what do you think?

I'm not sold on FWH being any different than a bittering addition.

If you're noticing a sharp bitter/astringent flavor in your dark beers now, start by keeping sulfates levels low in your water and check mash/sparge pH. Watch your amount of total roasted grain - you can get too much roast, even in RIS.

Are you starting with RO water and adjusting from there? If so, just keep sulfates to a minimum. If you're starting with tap water, you may have too much to begin with - just cut it with a little store-bought distilled. Keep an eye on your mash pH, and make sure it doesn't get too high during the sparge.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 04:08:52 pm »
I dont have access to MO, thats why i am asking, thanks for your comments!

And that great smooth bitterness that you feel at the end when you taste yeti, how do you do that? because its not hoppy aroma. I was thinking it 40% of my hop bill at FWH and 60% at 60 minutes. Also adjusting my water salts to enhance maltiness...what do you think?

I'm not sold on FWH being any different than a bittering addition.

If you're noticing a sharp bitter/astringent flavor in your dark beers now, start by keeping sulfates levels low in your water and check mash/sparge pH. Watch your amount of total roasted grain - you can get too much roast, even in RIS.

Are you starting with RO water and adjusting from there? If so, just keep sulfates to a minimum. If you're starting with tap water, you may have too much to begin with - just cut it with a little store-bought distilled. Keep an eye on your mash pH, and make sure it doesn't get too high during the sparge.

Indeed i use RO and adjust my water as i want. However thanks for your advices :D Im just trying to figure how, when you taste yeti, you feel a firm and smooth bitterness at the end of the sip and not at the very beggining... how do you accomplish that?

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 07:00:13 am »
Indeed i use RO and adjust my water as i want. However thanks for your advices :D Im just trying to figure how, when you taste yeti, you feel a firm and smooth bitterness at the end of the sip and not at the very beggining... how do you accomplish that?

My black lager has that flavor you describe. I used Pacific Jade for bittering. It's a low cohumulone variety that gives a fantastic, smooth bitterness. I might be making stuff up, but I think that bitter bite at the end actually comes more from the grain.

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 07:02:14 pm »
Yeti is a great beer, and Great Divide makes many versions of it and they are all really good!  I don't have the recipe in front of me, but a friend of mine put together an imperial stout that tastes very similar to Yeti.  No MO and he used flaked barley and flaked rye to give it a smooth mouthfeel.

As for MO, I read somewhere, maybe on this board somewhere, that Drew Beechum (I think it was Drew) does or at one time used a ratio of 1/2 2-row and 1/2 MO as his base for many of his ales.  I recently tried this and changed my APA recipe from all 2-row base to 1/2 2-row and 1/2 MO base.  Really liked the results and I got more of a toasty flavor from the MO than biscuity.  I now keep on hand a 50lb bag of MO along with 2-row as I'll be using this 1/2 ratio of 2-row and MO as my base for my APAs, IPAs and Ambers.  My wife really like our Amber from last year, which had a 2-row base, but we are going to brew up an all MO Amber for the fall soon.
I also do the 50/50 mix.  And I too stole the idea from Drew!
Member #: 900000767