Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gravity Fed Strut stand  (Read 9939 times)

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: Gravity Fed Strut stand
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 08:17:26 am »
FYI if you use lock nuts for the burner mounting bolts, the plastic piece inside will melt.   :o  I'd suggest spring nuts stripped of the spring, which is probably what you did Justin.
I would have used lock washers, what are spring nuts?

The spring nuts are specialty hardware for the unistrut.  Here's what they look like.
Trey W.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 09:17:14 am »
FYI if you use lock nuts for the burner mounting bolts, the plastic piece inside will melt.   :o  I'd suggest spring nuts stripped of the spring, which is probably what you did Justin.

I believe spring-nuts are specific to the strut system.  They are just what they sound like, a nut (rectangular in this case) that has an integral spring that holds the nut in place in the strut channel.

I would have used lock washers also.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 04:26:09 pm »

I believe spring-nuts are specific to the strut system.  They are just what they sound like, a nut (rectangular in this case) that has an integral spring that holds the nut in place in the strut channel.

I would have used lock washers also.

Paul

Yeah, I tried that.  They didn't work, for me.  You can't tighten them properly.  Most scenarios, you can't get a wrench or ratchet in between the strut to hold the nut as you tighten the bolt.  Some areas you can, but not enough to make it work.  If you're gonna do it, save yourself some headaches and make sure you have plenty of spring nuts on hand.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"