Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Presence vs. Expediency  (Read 1422 times)

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Hop Presence vs. Expediency
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:18:23 pm »
I'm trying to dial in the time it takes from grain to glass for some of my IPAs.  I've hear many pro brewers talk about their ability to go from grain to glass in 10 days or so.  I'm trying to figure out if this is attainable at the homebrew scale, while maintaining hop freshness and aroma.  I tend to get a oniony/garlic/BO flavor from these IPAs (regardless of the hops used) within the first day or so after the beer has carbonated.  Note: I quick carb using a diffusion stone set to serving pressure or a little higher for 48 hrs.  This onion/garlic/BO flavor usually subsides after a few days.  Anyone else have this issue or some advice on how to fix it?
Trey W.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Hop Presence vs. Expediency
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 05:28:46 pm »
What hops have you tried?
Plus we have to remember that on the homebrew scale we can keg and drink the next day.  I think on the pro scale, there is always going to be shipping lag time that will help drop your off flavours out.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hop Presence vs. Expediency
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 05:36:13 pm »
The onion/garlic thing occurs with some hop varieties. It's fairly common with Summit, and I've noticed it with Apollo.  10 days is possible, but it's a quick turnaround at the home level.  I make alot of IPAs and most of mine are in the glass at 2 1/2 -3 weeks. Breweries do some pretty intense whirlpooling to achieve some of their hop flavor and aroma which many brewers cannot duplicate at home. I usually leave the beer in the primary for ~ 7 days , dry hop ~ 7 days usually, keg it and carb it. YMMV.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 05:55:14 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.