Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Would Mosaic work with Centennial?  (Read 13400 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Would Mosaic work with Centennial?
« on: August 16, 2013, 07:18:49 pm »
I've got some of both and am thinking of an APA for Monday.  Would these two play well together?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Would Mosaic work with Centennial?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:14:42 pm »
I've got some of both and am thinking of an APA for Monday.  Would these two play well together?
They sure do. I used the two together in my last IPA (Amarillo/Centennial/Mosaic/Columbus).  I think Centennial pairs well with about any American ale type hop. Those 2 hops sound great in an APA.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 08:50:45 pm »
+1

Mosaic plus Centennial sounds like a pretty good combo to me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:02:15 pm »
I view centennial as Simcoe lite. And yes, I think it would work well.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 10:13:00 pm »
I will likely go with 5 lbs 2 row, 5 lbs MO and 0.5 lbs of C15. Would use Munich instead of MO but I'm out. This is a leftover grain beer. Mash at 152.
Thinking 1 oz each at 10 mins and 1 oz each at flameout with a 20 min stand.
WLP001 in 2 L starter.
The goal is to make a decent APA with what I have while bulking up a big pitch for a 20 gal batch when the kids get back to school and I have more brew time.

I have a lot of other hops so I will take other suggestions too. Just not citra and Amarillo. I have them but I've done a lot of those recently.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 08:39:47 am »
I think I'm loving the combo. Unlike Jim, I consider Cents Cascade plus, but I certainly can see Simcoe lite lol. I like to dry hop my APAs a tough too. Maybe consider an ounce of each then. Are you planning on using any bittering additions? Maybe an ounce of each at FWH. I've been sold on first wort hops especially in APA's. I still hammer 60 minute additions in my IPA's. Whatever you do, I think you have a winning combination!
Frank

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 09:40:48 am »
I think of Mosaic as a fruity Simcoe. I love Citra and Amarillo with it, but if those are out I'd still stick with something in the fruity realm if you're looking for other hops to pair it with. Centennial is a good start. Most "C" hops or NZ/Aus hops would be a good match. Galaxy, Cascade, Motueka, Meridian, etc. would all pair nicely in an APA. Columbus, Chinook, Nelson, Simcoe would be nice as well, but to me that takes things in more of an IPAish direction.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 07:05:39 pm »
I think I'm loving the combo. Unlike Jim, I consider Cents Cascade plus, but I certainly can see Simcoe lite lol. I like to dry hop my APAs a tough too. Maybe consider an ounce of each then. Are you planning on using any bittering additions? Maybe an ounce of each at FWH. I've been sold on first wort hops especially in APA's. I still hammer 60 minute additions in my IPA's. Whatever you do, I think you have a winning combination!
Wasn't going to do a bittering per se because its an APA not an IPAD and my last few we're pretty bitter after my hop stand. Focus is on big hop character but not bitterness.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 08:08:13 pm »
Wasn't going to do a bittering per se because its an APA not an IPAD and my last few we're pretty bitter after my hop stand. Focus is on big hop character but not bitterness.

I think cents are about as versatile as they come... Winning combo!
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 08:38:17 pm »
+1.  Totally agree. Centennial are maybe my favorite ale hop because they're not too intense for APA like some, but blend with anything and hold their own in AIPA and IIPA. They're always in my freezer.
Jon H.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 09:01:33 pm »
They're always in my freezer.
They are even better in beer. :)

Thanks all Mondays brew is getting closer...

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 09:04:41 pm »
recently made beer with 8oz centennial throughout the boil and 4oz mosaic dry hopped.  it was great.  it will be a mainstay in one form or another.