Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison per Wyeast  (Read 18200 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Saison per Wyeast
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2014, 03:21:28 pm »
Bottled my saison today: 27 bombers of goodness. Ran 5.9oz corn sugar for 5 gallons shooting for 2.8 volumes. We shall see how it comes out in a few weeks> Thanks to everyone for all the input! Happy brewing and have a great day!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2014, 04:09:51 pm »
I brewed a batch of a belgian pale ale 8 days ago a pitched a starter of 3724 and oxygenated with pure O2 for about 40 sec (ran out of O2).  After about 8ish hours, it was chugging away and cont to do so for 6 days. Saturday I checked my gravity and it was down to 1.034 from 1.053.  It had been fermenting at 80-82 degrees which is the temp in my garage.  There has been absolutely no airlock activity since then.  I bought an aquarium heater yesterday but apparently it is a dud and needs to be returned.  My question is, how long can it sit doing nothing before I need to worry?  I will get a new heater tonight to try to get it to 90 degrees.  Should I sanitize a spoon and give it a gentle stir?  It seemed to have a lot of yeast in suspension when I checked it Saturday.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2014, 07:21:03 pm »
I'm not sure how long it can sit and not give up. I can tell you that my batch with 3724 showed no signs of ferm in a bucket with blow off tube, I got nervous but gave it 10 days before opening it. At that point it was only down to like 1.029 from 1.051.  I switched out for an airlock and had immediate and ongoing airlock activity for the next 8 days or so. I bottled it a month after pitching and it was down to 1.007/8ish. Only been in the bottle for 3 days so I'm still a bit off from rating it. Good luck

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2014, 03:41:13 am »
I followed the advise of an experienced homebrewing friend and sloshed it around real good in the bucket. He felt that I could probably re-oxygenated since the gravity was so high.  I opted just to slosh and this morning it is bubbling away.

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2014, 06:25:07 am »
I followed the advise of an experienced homebrewing friend and sloshed it around real good in the bucket. He felt that I could probably re-oxygenated since the gravity was so high.  I opted just to slosh and this morning it is bubbling away.

If the bucket was at all sealed I doubt there was much oxygen in there to get dissolved, but rousing the yeast like that may have helped.  Mine slowed way down a couple of weeks in, but once it took off again I didn't think it would ever stop.   Be patient and let it work-- you'll love the results.

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2014, 06:27:07 am »
Bottled my saison today: 27 bombers of goodness. Ran 5.9oz corn sugar for 5 gallons shooting for 2.8 volumes. We shall see how it comes out in a few weeks> Thanks to everyone for all the input! Happy brewing and have a great day!

I wish you lived closer to Seattle.  I'd love to get together and sample each other's brew.  Please don't forget to get back to us when you open that first bottle.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2014, 06:43:13 am »
 Thanks, will di

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2014, 07:43:02 am »

I definitely would not re-oxygenate this far into the fermentation.  As a rule of thumb, if proper oxygen is provided into the chilled wort when pitching the yeast, then that should be all that is needed (even when dealing with high gravity beers, most of the time...).  If you aerate a second time late into fermentation, you run the risk of oxidizing the beer which would make your batch not so enjoyable for drinking. 

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2014, 10:57:38 am »
I checked the gravity last night (day 16), and I'm at 1.025.  I hope this finishes up soon, I want to get another batch going in the chest freezer.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline 69franx

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2014, 11:33:24 am »
After carbing at 70-74 for 10 days, I refrigerated and opened a bottle the next day. The carbonation was great, tiny little bubbles just bursting in my mouth. The beginning of a sip was quite refreshing, lightly fruity but the back end of a sip was quite off. Cant really describe it and I have no other experience with 3724, so not sure where to go with it. The whole batch was bottled in 22oz bombers, so as I worked my way through a poured bomber and after a couple sips, either I got used to that off taste, or it was never there. In the end, I am enjoying this brew and will make again next summer or late spring most likely.
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2014, 05:26:03 pm »
Here's a quick pic of my 3724 saison. Recipe is basically Amanda K's from earlier in this post and fermented at 90•. So light in color, at least pouring from the bottle, it's easily the lightest colored brew I have made so far
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2014, 05:27:13 pm »

And the arrogant bottle it conditioned in!
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2014, 05:29:10 pm »
Looks good Frank !  Enjoy.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2014, 05:39:12 pm »
Thanx Jon, I plan on it!
Frank L.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2014, 08:49:06 pm »
At day 34, it's finally down to 1.009 (from 1.057). 

I think I'll keg it on Sunday.

Edit: I checked the gravity again on Sunday, and it was down to 1.007.  It's kegged and carbonating.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:06:03 am by narcout »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC