Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Odd Ways You Never Thought to Make Money  (Read 6606 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Odd Ways You Never Thought to Make Money
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 07:27:03 pm »
I hope to finally get started on a book I've been talking to Brewers Publications about.

It's about time.   ;)
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 12:26:10 pm »
I hope to finally get started on a book I've been talking to Brewers Publications about.

It's about time.   ;)

I'd say. Let me know if you want or need a ghost writer.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 12:29:54 pm »

It's about time.   ;)

If you're writing a book for Brewer's publications, it should be about beer not ghosts or time. ;D
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 12:31:20 pm »

It's about time.   ;)

I'm afraid of ghosts....;)  My mother will be pleased that all those years I spent as an English major may finally come to something!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 12:51:19 pm »

It's about time.   ;)

I'm afraid of ghosts....;)  My mother will be pleased that all those years I spent as an English major may finally come to something!

Those years never come to anything, even if you end up being published. Could be worse. Could've been philosophy.

And if you say you minored, I'm driving out there to slap you. And drink your beer. Maybe just hang out.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2022, 05:03:35 pm »
I do believe homebrewers, similar to anyone really getting into a hobby (for example amateur radio, model planes, model railroading, etc), are very creative, frugal, DIY and have those "Wow" moments quite often. We are NOT afraid or adverse to failure as we realize, properly handled, failures are actually learning experiences. Often, we don't succeed unless we've failed. We don't do unless we try.

We are doers while others sit and watch and even others don't even realize anything is happening.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2022, 08:28:31 am »
Submit articles to homebrew magazines. While it doesn't pay the rent I've financed all my homebrew ingredients and equipment for 8 years writing about various aspects of homebrewing that struck my fancy.
Beer writer is a much snazzier title than my previous one: semi-retired free lance layabout.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

narvin

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2022, 08:33:40 am »
You shouldn't ignore opportunities to earn extra money in your spare time. Usually, we spend those hours scrolling through social networks, watching TV shows, or watching funny videos. But you can create sources of a small passive income. It's not hard, especially when there are unusual ways of making money. I came to this when I started looking for such ways of making money and came across affirmations. It's a kind of self-infusion that helps you think straight and be confident in your actions in business. Here they are if you're interested  And here are the ways I've found. Sell selfies, Watch TV shows, Come up with clothing designs, Sell ideas, Come up with names, and many more interesting things. You can get paid for all of the things I listed above you can get paid for, there are many more ways, but I've highlighted the most interesting ones.

Here's an odd way... creating bots to spread your get rich quick self-help crap!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 04:08:01 pm by dbeechum »

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2022, 04:09:26 pm »
Holy Zombie thread...

Still love me some some Two Steps from Hell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Steps_from_Hell)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2022, 06:40:37 pm »
Submit articles to homebrew magazines. While it doesn't pay the rent I've financed all my homebrew ingredients and equipment for 8 years writing about various aspects of homebrewing that struck my fancy.
Beer writer is a much snazzier title than my previous one: semi-retired free lance layabout.
Semi-retired free lance layabout is quite a mouthful. On the other hand retired free lance layabout sounds good to me.

I’m still working and saving. I’ve got a 403B to pay the rent after retirement and a WLP002 for ingredients.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2022, 07:22:32 am »
A coworker was the main systems administrator where I work and he was super valuable and was easily making six figures but he was not happy with what he was doing.  He had a side gig that he enjoyed very much and it eventually grew and grew to the point where he thought he could actually do it for a living so he quit his job and surprised everyone in the company (we're still looking for his replacement).  The side gig?  Restoring old & damaged comic books.  It's a painstaking process with lots of unique tools.  Replacing rusty staples, fixing tears in the paper but not with tape... with some kind of special paper that is used to make the tear completely disappear.  I had never heard of this nor did I think it was something that would keep a young person (30s or early 40s) afloat after they made six figures.  What I'm hearing is that many younger people today are out to find ways to support themselves that are not the traditional 9-to-5 grind.  They don't want a job that pays well but that they hate.  They will lower their living standard and make due with less so that they can do something they enjoy and be happy while making less.  A friend of mine has a 28-yo son who makes $150k a year but the kid is miserable because of the time he spends working and the stress he has from it.  It's only a matter of time before he shifts his focus to something more fulfilling. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 07:26:21 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2022, 09:01:16 am »
That’s kinda like me. I was promoted into a job that I really did not enjoy doing. It paid great but the work sucked. Mind numbing work, 60 employees, and long hours spilling over into home life. Then management had a brainstorm and asked me to take on a “special project”. That was the best thing they could have done for me. It was interesting work, no direct reports, and I set my own schedule.  I really enjoyed my last year on the job despite having to get up early and go in to the office (Pre-Covid). When I talked with younger folks I would encourage them to seek out interesting work vs a paycheck.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2022, 09:16:23 am »
I think that years ago people accepted jobs that they got and paid well and considered themselves lucky to have that job, make decent money & support themselves or their family.  You just put your head down and worked because that's what you do and we didn't give it much consideration unless the job was truly awful or the company took advantage of you, etc.  Even in that case you would just find another job that was marginally satisfying.  I have three kids in their early-to-mid 20s and it will be interesting to see how they handle it.  My oldest is  teacher and has always loved to be with kids but she's finding out that her vision and reality aren't lining up.  I would hate to see her abandon it but if she were to find something more satisfying then it would be worth it.  I think it's a good approach to life and something that older people may not have thought of.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2022, 10:32:16 am »
This is long, but I swear there is a point. ;)

For 5 years I had a job I loved. It was my second job after graduate school which I started in 1998 and I was grossly underpaid. In those 5 years I never got a raise, and eventually the company closed the office so all the staff but one went into the unemployment line. While I enjoyed the job, had nothing changed I would have needed to work it forever. it would have not allowed an early retirement and probably would have ultimately resulted in reliance on social security.

After I got the boot from that job I was up for two jobs ,and while I got the nod for one, I came in second for the other. I took the one which made the offer and absolutely hated it from day 1. By day 3 the second job came calling as the number one guy demanded too much pay. I took the position he declined and left the job I hated after 6 days. The new job was as a sales engineer and I was great at it. It was stressful at times, but enjoyable. I moved up in the company and was on track to eventually be a VP. That's when we got bought out. I kept my salary, but was basically demoted until they eliminated my position after another year. So 4 years after I started, I hit the unemployment line.

My next sales gig was for 9 years. It was stressful after year one, and ridiculously stressful at the end. Unnecessarily stressful! The benefits were great. I was able to sock away money into 401k and their match was tremendous. I never failed to make a sales target, but was never really recognized for my efforts. At times the opposite was the case. Eventually they called me to a meeting where I pushed back and we decided to separate. Best day ever!

After the severance ended, I hit the unemployment line again. The next gig was very educational and financially rewarding. I managed 1/3 of the country and sold like there was no tomorrow. Unfortunately we didn't have project managers, so that duty fell on me. The stress of that situation was extremely tiring. I was fielding over 50 calls per day, every day, and working nights, weekends, and during vacation. I got a call by an HR manager and eventually we arrived at a suitable number, so I put in my notice after 4 years. I'm still on great terms with everyone there.

The new/current position, managing 1/4 of the country, started just before Covid hit and we were pulled off the road for 20 months. In the meantime they have decided we don't need to travel as much. So the position isn't overly stressful most of the time.

The point to it all is had I chose to stay where the job was the most enjoyable I'd get to be there forever. I would have had to work forever. By taking a lucrative position I set myself up for retirement. I've decided I'm out as soon as I can access my 401k funds without penalty at 59 1/2. I'll take SS as early as possible. If I work somewhere between 59 1/2 and 62 it will either be because I want to, or because I want to cover medical insurance costs.

My advice to a young person would be to take the money and the position which would allow the biggest contribution to retirement funds. There are three pillars to a successful job. They are to earn, learn, and enjoy. If you have all three you have the perfect job. Sometimes one can outpace the others and the job still be a good fit, at least for a while. So if you earn a ridiculous amount you won't care so much about enjoyment. Same for learning, sometimes what you learn at a lower paying position will set you up for future success. Ultimately enjoyment is where it is at, but it's hard to enjoy a job when you are having problems paying the bills and can see no means to retire. So if you're young, go for the cash!!!

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2022, 12:32:53 pm »
This is long, but I swear there is a point. ;)

For 5 years I had a job I loved. It was my second job after graduate school which I started in 1998 and I was grossly underpaid. In those 5 years I never got a raise, and eventually the company closed the office so all the staff but one went into the unemployment line. While I enjoyed the job, had nothing changed I would have needed to work it forever. it would have not allowed an early retirement and probably would have ultimately resulted in reliance on social security.

After I got the boot from that job I was up for two jobs ,and while I got the nod for one, I came in second for the other. I took the one which made the offer and absolutely hated it from day 1. By day 3 the second job came calling as the number one guy demanded too much pay. I took the position he declined and left the job I hated after 6 days. The new job was as a sales engineer and I was great at it. It was stressful at times, but enjoyable. I moved up in the company and was on track to eventually be a VP. That's when we got bought out. I kept my salary, but was basically demoted until they eliminated my position after another year. So 4 years after I started, I hit the unemployment line.

My next sales gig was for 9 years. It was stressful after year one, and ridiculously stressful at the end. Unnecessarily stressful! The benefits were great. I was able to sock away money into 401k and their match was tremendous. I never failed to make a sales target, but was never really recognized for my efforts. At times the opposite was the case. Eventually they called me to a meeting where I pushed back and we decided to separate. Best day ever!

After the severance ended, I hit the unemployment line again. The next gig was very educational and financially rewarding. I managed 1/3 of the country and sold like there was no tomorrow. Unfortunately we didn't have project managers, so that duty fell on me. The stress of that situation was extremely tiring. I was fielding over 50 calls per day, every day, and working nights, weekends, and during vacation. I got a call by an HR manager and eventually we arrived at a suitable number, so I put in my notice after 4 years. I'm still on great terms with everyone there.

The new/current position, managing 1/4 of the country, started just before Covid hit and we were pulled off the road for 20 months. In the meantime they have decided we don't need to travel as much. So the position isn't overly stressful most of the time.

The point to it all is had I chose to stay where the job was the most enjoyable I'd get to be there forever. I would have had to work forever. By taking a lucrative position I set myself up for retirement. I've decided I'm out as soon as I can access my 401k funds without penalty at 59 1/2. I'll take SS as early as possible. If I work somewhere between 59 1/2 and 62 it will either be because I want to, or because I want to cover medical insurance costs.

My advice to a young person would be to take the money and the position which would allow the biggest contribution to retirement funds. There are three pillars to a successful job. They are to earn, learn, and enjoy. If you have all three you have the perfect job. Sometimes one can outpace the others and the job still be a good fit, at least for a while. So if you earn a ridiculous amount you won't care so much about enjoyment. Same for learning, sometimes what you learn at a lower paying position will set you up for future success. Ultimately enjoyment is where it is at, but it's hard to enjoy a job when you are having problems paying the bills and can see no means to retire. So if you're young, go for the cash!!!
This is very good.  I meant to say something similar about being young and ambitious:  If your plan is to sock away money and retire wealthy at 50, absolutely nothing wrong  with it as long as you know what you're in for.  Loosely-related tangent:  I lost a job when I was in my early 20s because the company I worked for was bought out.  The new people told everyone their jobs were safe and then 2 months later fired everyone.  That was my first taste of "what employers can do to employees".  I found another job and they expanded too quickly and realized that they needed to cut some of the people and I was one because I was one of the last people in the door.  It was then that I realized that you could lose your job for many reasons other than "cause" and it made me very twitchy.  So at 24 years old I started to work for myself and I did that for 30+ years.  Yes, there was no real safety net but I was in control.  Things are going well?  Good.  Things are getting slow?  Better start hustling.  I liked it.  Eventually one of my customers "bought me" and I went to work for them for a substantial increase in pay, benefits and a more steady paycheck.  I'm 56.  If I can continue with this for another 6 years or so, I would be in good shape.  20% of my income goes into my 401k and I forgot all about social security but if I start taking it at 65 (maybe 67?) it's close to $4k a month.  Everyone's path is different for sure. 
Ken from Chicago.