Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Summer finally hit Washington. My yeast died.  (Read 6012 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Summer finally hit Washington. My yeast died.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 07:07:58 am »
This will be the loveliest 4th in quite a while: 93F and below 30% humidity. Beautiful clear skies with a light chance of rain after 7pm. Here in Tx it is not much different than the rest of the South when it comes to home brewing- normally we have about 4 months in which to brew without some form of temp control. :-\

My thinking is that someone new to homebrewing and already thinking this is gonna be a lifetime pursuit should bite the bullet and buy or assemble some temperature control. I'm talking doing it right and using a freezer or fridge to control the fermentation of your beer. And I would do it before there are any more upgrades such as kegging or larger kettles or going all-grain etc...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 07:33:17 am »
Read the "Beat the Heat" article that is down a ways. The author was from TX, and has some good solutions.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/zymurgy/free-downloads
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline micah h

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 12:00:44 am »
Tried the beer today, it does have some weird after taste. But hop flavor came through. In the past month I got a mini fridge from a garage sale, and started converting it to a temp control unit.

My next batch will be the same exact recipe, but with better control of temp. I am excited about trying this recipe with clean flavors.