Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question for the microbiologists out there  (Read 943 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Question for the microbiologists out there
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:05:09 am »
Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed a familiar smell that I couldn't quite place whenever the air conditioning turns on in one of our pharmacies. Today I got a good whiff of it and I finally figured it out - it was the distinct cherry pie/funk aroma of Brett. Once I picked it out, it's unmistakeable and nothing like the usual vinegar/feet smell you can get when a humid HVAC system first kicks in. I am now sitting here craving Orval while I'm at work.

So here's my question to the professionals out there - are there any species of mold that can produce the same compounds that Brett does to give these aromas? We've had a positive test for airborne mold in the general area under this HVAC outlet not too long ago.

I've always suspected the HVAC system since my allergies go berserk once it turns on, but we were told it was most likely from the sink. Whenever anyone mentions the HVAC as the culprit they get shot down, even though we've had issues with poorly designed HVAC systems in several other locations. It's much easier to say "just pour some bleach down the sink once a month" than to start ripping through an HVAC system.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Question for the microbiologists out there
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 02:42:41 pm »
Not a biologist at all but I know there are molds that can disable and kill. One in particular that grows on a certain plant when not stored properly in an evidence locker