Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Clean your bottles !  (Read 9846 times)

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Clean your bottles !
« on: July 25, 2013, 03:10:27 pm »
I discovered last night during a bottling session that my previous routine of rinsing a bottle out after opening a beer is woefully inadequate. I started inspecting the bottles with a light and half of them were still very dirty. They had a film that covered the inside, a ring at the top, yeast spots, or all 3. Mind you I have been reusing these bottles for years and entering, and winning many competitions with beers in these bottles. I am surprised all the beers were not infected. Most of them were higher alcohol Belgian beers so maybe that helped keep infection down.

After coming to this revelation last night I proceeded to put hot PBW in each bottle, shake it vigorously, then clean it with a bottle brush before rinsing it and giving it a few sanitzer quirts (from my bottle tree attachment). So, at least the two batches of beer I bottled last night a were in nice clean bottles.  ;)
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Clean your bottles !
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 03:47:25 pm »
I've seen this in some of my bottles recently, too.  They look clean on a cursory inspection, but not under a good light.  These were champagne bottles that had held a variety of strong Belgians and/or saisons.

Sadly, I really only noticed when I put one that I thought was clean on a bottle washer and stuff kept coming out.

A good long soak brought them nice and clean.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:39:56 am »
Hmmm interesting... I've always poured a beer and rinse the bottle. I get the bottle about a quarter of the way full, cover the top with my thumb, and shake the bajeezus out of it, then rinse again. The bottles got into a "dirty bottle" stash before that pile gets out of hand... Then they will get soaked from anywhere from 6-24 hours in oxiclean. They get rinsed again and dried. Before bottling, I sanitize my bottles in the dish washer with high heat. I've never had any issues, and I've never thought about using a brush... Maybe I will now after reading this.
Frank

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:27:33 am »
Then they will get soaked from anywhere from 6-24 hours in oxiclean.

This should take care of the film. 

Typically, I rinse clean and let them dry.  Check them and sanitize prior to bottling.  The oxyclean soak isn't something I've typically been doing bottles that appear visually clean.  It appears to be needed more regularly.  FWIW, the beer that left the film had been bottled for years and the saison definitely had gotten oxidized and funky.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 09:16:58 am »
Triple rinse after pouring is my method. Fill it about a quarter of the way, shake, empty, repeat 2 more times. Seems to work well.
Jesse

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 09:33:37 am »
Triple rinse after pouring is my method. Fill it about a quarter of the way, shake, empty, repeat 2 more times. Seems to work well.

+1, but then I send through the dishwasher with no soap, just PBW.  then a rinse cycle, then sanitize prior to filling. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 09:56:30 am »

I do this. I basically rinse/shake/empty/repeat until the rinse water runs clear, then rinse one more time. Still, the OP's finding makes me want to do a QC check on a dozen bottles or so to ensure that I'm not missing anything.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 10:48:14 am »
My process of recycling beer bottles

Immediately upon finishing a beer, follow this process.

1. Hot rinse 3X then store covered until ready for bottling
2. hot PBW soak
3. hot rinse
4. starsan soak
5. drain on bottle tree or equivalent
6. fill/cap
7. carbonate
8. chill
9. drink
10. go to step 1 and repeat
11. :)
Ron Price

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 11:40:48 am »
My process of recycling beer bottles

Immediately upon finishing a beer, follow this process.

1. Hot rinse 3X then store covered until ready for bottling
2. hot PBW soak
3. hot rinse
4. starsan soak
5. drain on bottle tree or equivalent
6. fill/cap
7. carbonate
8. chill
9. drink
10. go to step 1 and repeat
11. :)

+1 this is basically what I do as well. But now I may take a bright flashlight and check some bottles to be sure they really are clean.

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 12:12:14 pm »
I am not good about rinsing out my bottles, and neither are my friends or roommate, so I always do a long soak in oxyclean and warm water a few days before bottling. Then I "power wash" them with one of those spring-loaded bottle/carboy washers that screws onto the sink. This usually gets all the chunks and stains out, but I always inspect in front of a light before moving to sanitation. If they still look grimy, back into the soak they go and repeat.

Haven't had any infection issues from bottles since I got the power washer.
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 04:32:12 pm »

I do this. I basically rinse/shake/empty/repeat until the rinse water runs clear, then rinse one more time. Still, the OP's finding makes me want to do a QC check on a dozen bottles or so to ensure that I'm not missing anything.

Me too. I scrutinize each bottle and can tell if there is anything left in there by the way the water behaves.

Once the bottles are thoroughly rinsed and stored upside down in boxes I can utilize the sanitize feature on the DW with water only on any given bottling day. Even if I haven't touched the bottles in six months.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rickyk76

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 03:25:13 pm »
Hmmm interesting... I've always poured a beer and rinse the bottle. I get the bottle about a quarter of the way full, cover the top with my thumb, and shake the bajeezus out of it, then rinse again. The bottles got into a "dirty bottle" stash before that pile gets out of hand... Then they will get soaked from anywhere from 6-24 hours in oxiclean. They get rinsed again and dried. Before bottling, I sanitize my bottles in the dish washer with high heat. I've never had any issues, and I've never thought about using a brush... Maybe I will now after reading this.

This is exactly what I do with the addition of a StarSan rinse right before bottling and *knock in wood* never had any issues.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 08:03:50 am »
I am not the best with cleaning my bottles after emptying them but I always check before refilling. If it doesn't look clean in the light then I don't use it. Instead it goes back to the sink for a more detailed cleaning and then it goes back in the stock for use in the future. If the bottle passes the visual test it gets a rinse to get out any dust and then hit with star-san.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

narvin

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 08:22:04 am »
I usually put 1/4 tsp of pbw and hot water in bottles after a night of drinkin and let them soak overnight before i rinse. 

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 12:38:12 pm »
Man, i get the same ring thing in the necks. Bottle washing is such a pain; most dreaded chore in the whole craft.What causes the ring? I was wondering if it might be iodophor residue.  I have tried to pare down my used bottles, and having so many different types isnt a help either. I wish ther was an easier way.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving