Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort transfer to BK pumping question  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Wort transfer to BK pumping question
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:20:14 am »
I have a March pump for transferring my wort around but in the summer months i like to do my boils outside. the pump is situated alongside my RIMS just a couple inches off the basement floor. I live in a split foyer and want to run a hose from the pump, outside to a kettle, the bottom of which is about 4' above the pump. I was thinking about hooking the hose to the QD/valve on the bottom of the kettle and pumping the wort up into the kettle. my concern is whether the pump can handle 8-10 gallons of pressure in it as the kettle fills. Any fluid dynamics folks know if this will work ok?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Wort transfer to BK pumping question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:30:17 am »
The volume of liquid above the pump does not matter. The lift height does. The spec for a March pump has the Max. Head pressure the pump can work against. Look you pump up in the link.
http://www.marchpump.com/series-809/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:43:07 am »
If you have the 809, you can upgrade the impeller and you'll have the 809-HS, which has 12 feet of head and should be good enough.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:24:30 am »
Thanks you guys,
10 gallons measures to 45" to the pump head, well below the max head of 4.3'. And with the upgrade Narvin's talking about and lowering my pump, 212* wort no longer cavitates on its way to the chiller. Now I can safely move hot liquor around instead of carrying kettles outside with oven mits!
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving