General Category > Ingredients

Green tea Saison

(1/5) > >>

majorvices:
Brewing a simple 1.048ish Saison and want to throw some green tea at end of boil. 12 gallon batch. Anyone have an idea how many oz? I was thinking to start at 2 oz and dry tea it if I wanted more.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: majorvices on July 26, 2013, 08:51:55 AM ---Brewing a simple 1.048ish Saison and want to throw some green tea at end of boil. 12 gallon batch. Anyone have an idea how many oz? I was thinking to start at 2 oz and dry tea it if I wanted more.

--- End quote ---

how many teaspoons (spoons for stirring tea rather than the measuring kind) would 2 oz be? about 10? I always figure when making tea 1 teaspoon per cup + 1 for the pot. with black tea I would think that would WAY too much for a beer as you want a suggestion rather than a cup of tea but green tea is so mild in flavor I would think you would want quite a bit more than with black. probably not 192 tea spoons full but maybe 50?

okay 2 grams per 100ml for tea. (google-fu)

so 2 oz is 56.5 grams, enough for 28.25 servings of tea. I would go with 3 oz at least.

I almost wonder if you should make a strong tea and add to taste as packaging. I think the reason you are not supposed to use water that has been boiling for a long time or boiled over and over to make tea has to do with dissolved o2. after a long boil there is going to be little or no o2 in the wort.

just a thought.

majorvices:
Yeah, just went to a Fancy tea place and they sold me on some oolong. Fermented tea! Hells yeah, that makes sense.

She also recommended to make a string batch and adding that to fermentor rather than steeping tea during whirlpool since tea tastes bad if steeped too long. Makes sense.

majorvices:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on July 26, 2013, 08:59:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: majorvices on July 26, 2013, 08:51:55 AM ---Brewing a simple 1.048ish Saison and want to throw some green tea at end of boil. 12 gallon batch. Anyone have an idea how many oz? I was thinking to start at 2 oz and dry tea it if I wanted more.

--- End quote ---

how many teaspoons (spoons for stirring tea rather than the measuring kind) would 2 oz be? about 10? I always figure when making tea 1 teaspoon per cup + 1 for the pot. with black tea I would think that would WAY too much for a beer as you want a suggestion rather than a cup of tea but green tea is so mild in flavor I would think you would want quite a bit more than with black. probably not 192 tea spoons full but maybe 50?

so 2 oz is 56.5 grams, enough for 28.25 servings of tea. I would go with 3 oz at least.

I almost wonder if you should make a strong tea and add to taste as packaging. I think the reason you are not supposed to use water that has been boiling for a long time or boiled over and over to make tea has to do with dissolved o2. after a long boil there is going to be little or no o2 in the wort.

just a thought.

--- End quote ---

Right, good point. Definitely needs to  be added to taste.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: majorvices on July 26, 2013, 09:10:38 AM ---
--- Quote from: morticaixavier on July 26, 2013, 08:59:49 AM ---

--- End quote ---

just a thought.

--- End quote ---

Right, good point. Definitely needs to  be added to taste.

--- End quote ---

+1

Do some testing by adding a given quantity of steeped tea to a known sample size of beer. I would imagine different teas require differing doses.

Sounds interesting. I'll check back to hear your results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version