Author Topic: Green tea Saison  (Read 2170 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Re: Green tea Saison
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 06:20:48 AM »
So, what a disaster! First batch I have made on my homebrew system in months. And I forgot to make pH adjustments for a very pale beer. Just forgot, until I noticed I didn't have any hot break. "Oh crap, forgot lactic and calcium chloride". Added a little lactic to boil but never got much break. Missed OG by 8 points. Put work in fermentation chamber to chill to pitching temps and when I came in next morning the Ranco malfunctioned and froze the wort. Seriously. Guess I'll take another stab at it next week. Wack!
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Online goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:44 AM »
Did you ever try this again? I plan to add green tea using the "dry tea" method. I was curious as to what if any conclusions you made.

I am thinking about adding 2 oz for a week after fermentation is completed.

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 11:33:20 AM »
I knew pro brewers couldn't homebrew.  ;D
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 04:43:34 AM »
Did you ever try this again? I plan to add green tea using the "dry tea" method. I was curious as to what if any conclusions you made.

I am thinking about adding 2 oz for a week after fermentation is completed.

I ended up making a batch and adding the green tea (hot tea, extract, strong batch) directly to the keg. Still playing around with amounts.

The tea person at the respectable coffee/tea place I got my tea from said that long extraction of tea leaves removes unwanted flavors. Being a green tea drinker I suddenly knew exactly what she was talking about. That said, she wasn't talking about cold extraction but you may want to cold extract tea in water first and see how it turns out.
Keith Y.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 04:44:19 AM »
I knew pro brewers couldn't homebrew.  ;D

Not well, anyway. ;)
Keith Y.

Online goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »
Just purchased dragon well loose leaf green tea and am going to attempt the the "dry tea" method for about 4 days. I am still conflicted about the amount. The aroma is stronger than I expected with predominate grassy and earthy notes.

Gonna just throw it in loose and strain it when I keg on Sunday. Trying to decide between 1 or 2 oz for a 5 gallon batch. This is a very light bodied and colored beer so I definitely do not want to overdo it because I think it could end up with an almost musty character.

From what I can tell, about 7.5 oz of tea would be used to make 5 gallons of average strength tea so 1-2 oz seems pretty minimal...

Any feedback on amount?

Online morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 03:55:35 PM »
Just purchased dragon well loose leaf green tea and am going to attempt the the "dry tea" method for about 4 days. I am still conflicted about the amount. The aroma is stronger than I expected with predominate grassy and earthy notes.

Gonna just throw it in loose and strain it when I keg on Sunday. Trying to decide between 1 or 2 oz for a 5 gallon batch. This is a very light bodied and colored beer so I definitely do not want to overdo it because I think it could end up with an almost musty character.

From what I can tell, about 7.5 oz of tea would be used to make 5 gallons of average strength tea so 1-2 oz seems pretty minimal...

Any feedback on amount?

you can always add more, can't take it out though. start with the 1-2 you are planning and if you need more you can put some more in a sanitized tea ball and drop it in the keg.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Online goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 04:03:40 PM »

Any feedback on amount?

you can always add more, can't take it out though. start with the 1-2 you are planning and if you need more you can put some more in a sanitized tea ball and drop it in the keg.

Thanks. I decided to add 1 oz for now. I may add an additional 1/2 - 1 oz tomorrow if I feel that it is necessary. I also have the same ratio of tea added to water so I can tell how much the color will be influenced along with flavor and aroma independent of the actual beer. I have a second glass with twice as much for comparison...