Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Budweiser Isn't what it used to be...?  (Read 11497 times)

Offline micah h

• Cellarman
Budweiser Isn't what it used to be...?
« on: July 27, 2013, 10:32:59 pm »
My dad asked me to see if anyone remembers the change, and if they know why it changed.

He told me that long before I was drinking beer, or alive. Budweiser had a very distinct flavor, that set it apart from other beers. At some point they changed the formula and it lost it's individuality.

Does anyone know what happened.

I just thought of this! Does anyone have a recipe that would mimic or clone that old Bud. That would be a batch he would love to help me brew.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Budweiser Isn't what it used to be...?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 10:45:56 pm »
InBev took Anhieser Busch over. They cancelled the contract with the hop farm where they got their hops and went to cheaper ones. They quit using whole rice and went to broken rice. They also cut back on the amount of grain they use. A bud today is not the same as a bud in 2005.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline micah h

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:52:22 pm »
Not the change he is looking for. It would be closer to 1975 or 1980. But thank you anyways.

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 05:45:58 am »
I remember reading in Charlie Bamforth's book (or maybe heard it in his lecture series) about how Bud cryogenicly freezes beer so that they can compare their product from year to year.  He said that they found a significant bitterness drift towards less bitterness over the long run but less from year to year.  So I guess Bud hasn't changed much from this year to last year but has changed significantly from 1980 to now.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 07:30:34 am »
I'm sure Bud has changed over the years. But my hunch is the biggest change has been your dad's taste buds. ;)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 01:33:58 pm »
What I have read is that since the seventies they have reduced the bitterness by almost 70%. It used to be much closer to it's roots as a bo-pils. but with hops being the single most expensive ingredient they figured if they did it bit by  bit no one would notice.

also hence the late 80's 'bitter beer face' advertising stuff. (Keystone?)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline micah h

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 01:40:25 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll let him know what you think. Also since he started drinking bud light about ten years ago, I don't see why he is still concerned.

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 04:01:07 pm »
Back in '74 our German exchange students unanimously said Budweiser was the closest beer to what they drank back home. It wasn't the same, but closest. 15 years later, I couldn't believe anyone would think of saying that as I was living over there for the next 5 years. Must have been a heck of a change that occurred at some point.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 04:34:29 pm »
The formula for Budweiser has changed many times since it was first brewed.  I was once  told by someone inside the company that the formula had probably changed a  dozen times since the 1940's alone. 
In any case, there's no doubt whatsoever that it's definitely a considerably different product than when it was first introduced. 

I suspect that if were possible to taste Budweiser as it was first produced in the 1800's, it would be quite a surprise.  And not a bad surprise, either.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 04:44:20 pm »
isn't the true original Budweiser from Czechoslovakia?
Member #: 900000767

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 04:45:54 pm »
Budvar!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 05:41:31 pm »
I remember Michelob was a very good beer in the 70's. But, they changed something in the early 80's and its never been the same.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17