Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Avery Black Tot  (Read 2542 times)

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
Avery Black Tot
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:17:09 am »
This was the newest in their Barrel Aged Series, although the first non-sour beer.  The beer is an Imperial Oatmeal Stout that is aged in Gossling Old Rum barrels, weighing in at 10.08%.

You can smell the rum right off the bat, i'm used to this with Bourbon aged stouts, but this was the first time that I have experienced it with rum.  There really was a lot going on, expresso/coffee, dark chocholate, and molasses.

The flavor was much of the same, complex and chewy.  Again, the rum jumps out at the first sip, then there is a wash of the flavors mentioned above.

At the release, they also had the Un-Oaked version, a version aged in Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrels, and a version aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels.  All of them were really good.  The un-oaked version made me appreciate what an amazing beer this was all on it's own.  Being a bourbon lover, I think that at this point that was my favorite.  However, I am curious to see how this beer ages and how the rum flavors meld in with the stout.  I think that a year or so will really mellow out the rum and bring this beer into complete harmony.  Thank god I bought a 6-pack to lay down in the cellar.  Now I just have to make it last!

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Re: Avery Black Tot
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:43:00 am »
I haven't been able to allocate a bottle yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to trying it.  :P 
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:07:03 pm »
Mikey, You are so lucky you can just stop by for a sample there....I gotta drive 5-6 hours...
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 12:53:34 pm »
I got a bottle at the sourfest, but have yet to try it....
No hurry either, it will cellar a while I am sure
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:22:31 am »
Goslings is delicious stuff, probably my favorite rum, although I haven't had their top-notch pricy stuff.  I may have to think about doing a rum stout recipe some time.