Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yet another keezer question  (Read 1864 times)

Offline tfrommer

• 1st Kit
Yet another keezer question
« on: August 01, 2013, 12:49:39 pm »
Been doing my due diligence scouring all the posts here and elsewhere on chest freezer conversions as it's my summer I'm-not-handy project. Pretty much ready to go buy lumber and stain. I'm still debating whether to attach the collar to the freezer or to the lid, but my question is on a different, related topic.

What are benefits to two collars? I've seen some posts about inner and outer ones but having two just seems like 2x the ways for me to eff something up.

thanks,
Tim F.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:26:42 pm by tfrommer »
Tim F.
Seattle
Cascade Brewers Guild

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Yet another keezer question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:20:32 pm »
My inner collar is the exact dimensions of the freezer opening and the outer collar hangs down around 3 sides.  Advantages for me are it helps secure the collar to the freezer and give me a place to screw in a drip tray if I want.

Also, it allows you to choose a nicer piece of wood as a facing, instead of using really expensive wood for the inside, where no one sees it anyways.

This isn't mine but it demonstrates what the outer collar does on my kegerator

Just make sure your collar is big enough so you have the clearance if you want to put kegs on the compressor hump.  Otherwise you'll have to build one all over again (ask me how I know  ::) )
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:25:56 pm by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Yet another keezer question
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 11:29:42 am »
Just make sure your collar is big enough so you have the clearance if you want to put kegs on the compressor hump.  Otherwise you'll have to build one all over again (ask me how I know  ::) )

^ Yep. But I think I'm just going to invest in some 2-3 gal kegs that fit.

I like the idea of the overhang - mine shifts when I lean on it (beergut gets it every time I lift a keg up and over).

My woodworking skills are excessively poor, but I could handle this project. RDWHAHB.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/