Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: GABF and Craigslist  (Read 5390 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
GABF and Craigslist
« on: July 30, 2013, 11:01:42 am »
Wow, that didn't take long for GABF tickets to show up on CL.  I got the tickets I needed, but was just curious to see if they made their way to CL and sure enough, they are there and marked up price wise.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: GABF and Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 11:04:08 am »
Wow, that didn't take long for GABF tickets to show up on CL.  I got the tickets I needed, but was just curious to see if they made their way to CL and sure enough, they are there and marked up price wise.

The sad part is this have to members of either AHA or the BA.  Very "undude" like. 

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:14 am »

The sad part is this have to members of either AHA or the BA.  Very "undude" like.

No kidding!  I'm thinking that there are some out there that just sign up for a membership to get tickets and resell them.  It's a popular event and I'm sure people will easily pay high $$ for tickets.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:38 am »
Given that AHA membership numbers are sequential, you only need to know 1 valid number, then keep adding 1 and go again. So it would not be surprising if scalpers took that approach.  Even if that didnt work, 1 years membership spread over 14 tickets is no brainer.

The only way a members pre-sale works, is if the ticket is tied to the membership number and the card needs to be presented at the door. But how you make that work for 5,000+ tickets per session I have no idea.

Offline Poobah58

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:12:32 am »
Yep, someone already asking $150 per ticket!
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 11:16:23 am »

Rumor has it that many tickets are available on the sidewalk outside the convention center.  And at a reduced price.  (but that is just a rumor)  Anyone have first hand experience with such? 

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 11:26:35 am »

Rumor has it that many tickets are available on the sidewalk outside the convention center.  And at a reduced price.  (but that is just a rumor)  Anyone have first hand experience with such?

I have seen people selling tickets outside the event, but I've never asked what they were asking for them.
Jeremy Baker

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 11:29:19 am »
Given that AHA membership numbers are sequential, you only need to know 1 valid number, then keep adding 1 and go again. So it would not be surprising if scalpers took that approach.  Even if that didnt work, 1 years membership spread over 14 tickets is no brainer.

The only way a members pre-sale works, is if the ticket is tied to the membership number and the card needs to be presented at the door. But how you make that work for 5,000+ tickets per session I have no idea.
Maybe the membership number and another piece of information (zip code, etc) to verify.  But with the issues they are having just getting the membership numbers to ready correctly, I don't know if that's feasible.

I'd be interested to see what kind of membership bump they got from announcing the presale for AHA members.  Maybe those dues could go to infrastructure improvements.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

narvin

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 11:41:22 am »
GABF's too popular, nobody goes anymore.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:44:11 am »

LOL, well nobody who's anybody...

Offline Poobah58

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 11:59:23 am »
Thanks Yogi! :o
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Offline Furbinator409

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 12:33:09 pm »
I managed to snag 2 tickets to Saturday EVENING, but, since the afternoon session is out.....

Anyway, if I'm going to sell these 2, I'd rather sell them to another member instead of doing it on CL.

Let me know if you're interested.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 01:02:33 pm »
One CL ad states "Have 4 extra passes for Thursday, 4 Friday, 2 Sat Afternoon and 8 Saturday night."  How do you  have all these extras and 8 Sat night?

I hope who ever needs tickets can get them tomorrow.  Good Luck!
Jeremy Baker

Offline rajbaj

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 11:32:23 pm »

Yes, they are and they are plentiful.

(Sorry I PM'd you, can you post my reply for others. I don't have a copy in my mailbox and don't want to retype it all over again on the iPad. Cheers.)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 07:15:41 am »

I wonder if that is the reason why there was a problem with a lot of people trying to purchase tickets. Scalpers had already accessed their code.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing