Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend - 8/3 edition?  (Read 22513 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend - 8/3 edition?
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 08:53:58 pm »
What's everyone got cooking for this weekend? I have a 3-day weekend since RI remains the last state to celebrate Victory Day (formerly VJ "Victory over Japan" day - kind of funny since we're one of the furthest states from Japan).

Going to be brewing my first hopstand & dry hop only IPA - pretty psyched about it, too. Citra, Motueka, Nelson plus either Columbus or Apollo and either Meridian or Legacy. Over a pound of hops for a 3-gallon batch. My software is saying 418 IBU's. This should be interesting lol.
Can't wait to read your tasting notes on this one !  I've thought about doing this for awhile but haven't gotten to it yet. I've got a couple more Belgian styles on deck to brew, then I'm hitting the hops hard.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2013, 10:01:39 pm »
What's everyone got cooking for this weekend? I have a 3-day weekend since RI remains the last state to celebrate Victory Day (formerly VJ "Victory over Japan" day - kind of funny since we're one of the furthest states from Japan).

Going to be brewing my first hopstand & dry hop only IPA - pretty psyched about it, too. Citra, Motueka, Nelson plus either Columbus or Apollo and either Meridian or Legacy. Over a pound of hops for a 3-gallon batch. My software is saying 418 IBU's. This should be interesting lol.

WOWZA!  I'm psyched just reading this.....  You must post about the results!!!!!!

I'm also on the fence about whether to try steeping hops with my priming sugar at bottling time to give it one last infusion of hop oil right before bottling.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 07:26:39 am »

WOWZA!  I'm psyched just reading this.....  You must post about the results!!!!!!

I'm also on the fence about whether to try steeping hops with my priming sugar at bottling time to give it one last infusion of hop oil right before bottling.

Maybe do half with the priming hop addition?

What a concept to explore.  Very exciting really.  I have been moving my hop additions to later and larger and then a very generous hopstand/whirlpool addition.  I still add some smaller amounts throughout though.  So far so good with my results.  But I haven't made it all the way to what your doing here!  I may just have to try a small batch like this and see what happens.  I REALLY look forward to hearing about your results!

Enjoy the brew day!
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2013, 03:56:20 pm »
brewed 45 liters of wit wort and pitched half with white labs 400 and half with the American farmhouse blend (which smelled a little like cheese going into the fermenter  ???)

Had some extra hot sparge water so I went ahead and added that to the grains and got about 1 gallon of 1.055 (after boil) sweet wort which I boiled with some very very old saaz and pitched with the starter I made from my sourdough starter. So that will be interesting.

On a hunch I pitched the sourdough yeast pretty warm and will try to keep it that way. In my test (starter) it apparently finished at 1.012 down from 1.037 so I suspect a stall. The sourdough was created in Napa CA and I am hoping that similar to 565 I will get better attenuation with the higher temp. I figure I am also more likely to get some lactic character. We will see.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 03:10:18 pm »
I made 6gal of wort with 10lb of Muntons Tipple pale ale malt, 1lb of Fawcett crystal 80L and 1lb of sugar, bittered to 50 IBU with German Herkules.  I boiled 30min, then let it cool.  Spit the batch in two and finished one with Galaxy, the other with Mosaic.  Each had 1oz at 10min and 1oz at FO.  Pitched US05, looking forward to giving these new-to-me hops a test run.  I have a pound of Galaxy but only the 2oz of Mosaic, so I kept the recipe even.  No dry hopping on these either.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2013, 11:50:15 pm »
Last weekend I did 11 gallons of Galaxy Simcoe Pale Ale.  The 60 min charge was 1/2 oz of Warrior, and then an ounce each of Galaxy and Simcoe at 5 minutes and then again at 45 seconds, followed by a 45-minute hop stand without additional cooling of the wort after flameout until I chilled it.  BAse malt was 60/40 pils/marris otter.  I also included a couple pounds of wheat malt, as well as ~1 lb each of flaked rye and quick oats in the mash.  The hydro sample was unique and delicious.  Primary is going at a steady 65F with US-05, and will dryhop one keg with Galaxy and Simcoe, the other with Galaxy and Summit.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:54:07 pm by brewsumore »

Offline Wesbrau

• Cellarman
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2013, 12:47:04 am »
Oktoberfest and an IPA with Herkules, Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial, Amarillo, Cascade, and Chinook. 

My brew buddy also cranked out a hefeweizen tonight over at his place. 
Wes

Offline rdbobonis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2013, 03:42:06 am »
Wil be making my first IPA this weekend.  It will be my third kit beer.  I plan to move on beyond its and start creating and experimenting.  Any advice?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2013, 08:39:03 am »
My advice would be have fun with it but keep a brew journal. Most folks start trying this and that, and it grows to like 8 grains and 6 different hops. To quote Drew, you end up with brown tasting beer. Then they start trimming back. Check out brewing on the ones video on YouTube

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2013, 02:15:02 pm »
Finally brewing again after a hiatus of a couple of months.

10 gallons of Munich dunkel!!! Getting ready for winter, despite it being 80°F outside right now at 2:00 p.m.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2013, 04:22:52 pm »
Nothing unfortunately - been having gallbladder issues lately. Having surgery in the next few days. But as soon as I recover I'm gonna do a cider (haven't done one in a couple years) and a Belgian in the same weekend. Make up for lost time !
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2013, 04:57:39 pm »
Good luck and get well soon

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2013, 05:01:18 pm »
Thanks Jim !  I've got the willpower but not the constitution for a Friday night cold one.  That's gotta get fixed asap !
Jon H.

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2013, 07:07:29 pm »
Good health to you HoosierBrew!

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2013, 07:14:42 pm »
Brewing an ESB Sunday.

Thames Valley in a starter flask on the stir-plate.......

95% English Pale Malt
5% Crystal 120
Target at 90 (35 - 40 IBU’s)
Saaz at flame out
Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley

152 mash
1.055 OG
10 SRM