Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend - 8/3 edition?  (Read 22531 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend - 8/3 edition?
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2013, 09:40:15 am »
Going to brew a saison. Finishing hops will be homegrown cascades that my wife picked. Going to use the american farmhouse strain, and rack it onto hibiscus in a couple of weeks. I am hoping that the hibiscus will make the brew a lovely deep red color. Should be a good Christmas beer.

Also bottling an ipa.

The American Farmhouse strain takes about 6 - 7 months to finish up in my experience.  It has a very nice fruity/funky Brett character.  Jolly Pumpkin Bam comes to mind.

I've had this strain more or less done in 4 weeks. I'm sure the brett character would continue to evolve but for an every day drinking you get some brett byte in just a few weeks.

I'm curious to here what happens with actually adding the Jamaica flowers to the beer. I've always heard it done at packaging with a tea.

It does indeed evolve.  Well.  My last one had a pellicle on it for months, and the flavor changed quite a bit over time.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2013, 10:03:32 am »
I'm brewing a kolsch this weekend.  Thankfully it looks like the temps are going to warm up a bit from the below-freezing stuff we've had the past couple days.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2013, 12:13:32 pm »
Going to brew a saison. Finishing hops will be homegrown cascades that my wife picked. Going to use the american farmhouse strain, and rack it onto hibiscus in a couple of weeks. I am hoping that the hibiscus will make the brew a lovely deep red color. Should be a good Christmas beer.

Also bottling an ipa.

The American Farmhouse strain takes about 6 - 7 months to finish up in my experience.  It has a very nice fruity/funky Brett character.  Jolly Pumpkin Bam comes to mind.

I've had this strain more or less done in 4 weeks. I'm sure the brett character would continue to evolve but for an every day drinking you get some brett byte in just a few weeks.

I'm curious to here what happens with actually adding the Jamaica flowers to the beer. I've always heard it done at packaging with a tea.

It does indeed evolve.  Well.  My last one had a pellicle on it for months, and the flavor changed quite a bit over time.

I have a nice big jar full of american farmhouse slurry, so while I am not expecting the brett character to fully come through by xmas time, I do think that the left over bottles will develop nicely. At least that is the plan at the moment. I may make a 10 gallon batch, and rack half of it into a keg, and bottle the rest. May experiment with adding the hibiscus in different ways as well. Cheers!
Kyle M.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2013, 12:53:32 pm »
Got a WY2278 starter going.  Looking to brew German pils in a week or so.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2013, 01:20:46 pm »
I'm thinking big honking IPA either tomorrow or Saturday morning.  Maybe split the brew day over two days.

I have 8 kegs of beer.....and none of them are hoppy. Time to remedy that.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2013, 01:40:03 pm »
No Brewing - FOBAB!!!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2013, 02:48:19 pm »
Brewing an American stout tomorrow.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline Chavez324

• 1st Kit
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2013, 03:58:45 pm »
I'm looking to do an over the top vanilla beer. Aquired some Madagascar vanilla beans. Anyone have any input? I was gonna look through Brewing Classic Styles to see what the vanilla recipe is.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2013, 08:39:12 pm »
Bottled three batches yesterday, brewed three more today. I'm wooped.

Offline Wesbrau

• Cellarman
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2013, 09:34:24 pm »
A slightly smoked porter and an India session ale on deck. 
Wes

Offline grod

• Cellarman
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2013, 05:04:36 am »
Brewing a Belgian Saison on Sunday using the dry Belle Saison yeast I got at registration at NHC Philly.

g
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2013, 06:03:30 am »
Brewing an Arrogant Bastard - type ale, OG ~ 1.066, plenty of Chinook, with WY 1098. Not an attempt to clone as much as just in that style.
Jon H.

Offline grod

• Cellarman
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2013, 06:32:40 am »
I'm brewing a kolsch this weekend.  Thankfully it looks like the temps are going to warm up a bit from the below-freezing stuff we've had the past couple days.

TDS,

Hoping my temps stay below 90F so my brew day is not a stinker.

g
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2013, 06:50:44 am »

TDS,

Hoping my temps stay below 90F so my brew day is not a stinker.

g
Wow, where do you live that it's still 90 out? We have a surprising high of 56 in Iowa today.

Tomorrow morning, I'm planning to get up early 7:30ish and start brewing a Munich helles. Got a step up starter of WY2206 crashing in the fridge ready to go. Just gotta get RO water and weigh/mill grains tonight so I'm ready to go right off in the morning. Now if only my coffee grinder hadn't of broken the other day...ugh. I may have to walk to the store to get some coffee during the mash.
Jesse

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2013, 07:25:00 am »
No Brewing - FOBAB!!!
This. But I may still try to squeeze in a brew day Sunday, assuming I'm recovered. Which session are your attending? I have tickets to the afternoon session, maybe I'll see you there.
Mark Gres