Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Air leak causing mold in chest freezer  (Read 5629 times)

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Air leak causing mold in chest freezer
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 09:43:35 am »
I'm not saying the air leak isn't contributing. Mold needs moisture as well. Your leak dedinitely needs addressed.  Mold can be minimized by keeping spills and drips cleaned up. Thats all I was saying.
Travis R.

Offline hophead73

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 10:58:01 am »
I'm not saying the air leak isn't contributing. Mold needs moisture as well. Your leak dedinitely needs addressed.  Mold can be minimized by keeping spills and drips cleaned up. Thats all I was saying.

Oh I definitely agree. Mold was only where the picnic taps dripped onto the kegs. Have to be more careful after pouring to make sure the tap head doesn't drip.

I definitely think going through the drain will be very easy and less invasive

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 04:38:30 pm »
I think avoiding altering anything is the way to go. That way if you ever have to sell the freezer then you don't have to explain why there are holes drilled etc...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hophead73

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 07:52:13 am »
Worked out perfectly!
I went through the drain hole in the bottom.
I cut out two pieces of thick insulation foam and used a dremel to carve them so they would fit snug into the drain hole in the interior and on the outside. Drilled a small hole down the middle of each, detached the probe lead from the controller so I could snake it through the hole since the probe end won't fit through the 90degree turn the drain takes.
Pulled the wire through and the plugs are snug and air tight in the holes and now the lead has a nice tight seal.