Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: USPS considering to add alcohol shipping  (Read 1444 times)

Offline ketch32

• 1st Kit
USPS considering to add alcohol shipping
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:30:51 pm »
This may be great news for shipping homebrews and other alcoholic liquids - not sure if it will save the USPS, but is there anything we can do (from AHA) to encourage this to happen?

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-interview-usps-eyes-alcohol-deliveries-172601094.html

Cheers!
"If one intends to make beer from oats, it is prepared with hops",
Abbess Hildegard of Bingen

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: USPS considering to add alcohol shipping
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 03:48:22 pm »
This may be great news for shipping homebrews and other alcoholic liquids - not sure if it will save the USPS, but is there anything we can do (from AHA) to encourage this to happen?

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-interview-usps-eyes-alcohol-deliveries-172601094.html

Cheers!

1.) This relates pretty much to commercial shipping.  There's not enough money to be made from homebrewers for it to be a factor.

2.) How do you know the AHA isn't already involved with this?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ketch32

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 04:21:39 pm »

1.) Yes, I agree the financial force is from commercial, but the rule change would affect us and allow us to ship via USPS (not saying that's a better option, but it would be an option).

2.) "There's not enough money to be made from homebrewers for it to be a factor" - sounds like there wouldn't be much pull from that statement, even if we were involved.  I know this has been an issue for a while and not just with USPS - just seems like the iron is hot, why not add some grease?
"If one intends to make beer from oats, it is prepared with hops",
Abbess Hildegard of Bingen

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 04:31:33 pm »

1.) Yes, I agree the financial force is from commercial, but the rule change would affect us and allow us to ship via USPS (not saying that's a better option, but it would be an option).

2.) "There's not enough money to be made from homebrewers for it to be a factor" - sounds like there wouldn't be much pull from that statement, even if we were involved.  I know this has been an issue for a while and not just with USPS - just seems like the iron is hot, why not add some grease?

Hopefully they'll include homebrew and not just make it for commercial breweries.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:14:55 am by dbeechum »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell