Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long to boil to rid chlorine?  (Read 8138 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: How long to boil to rid chlorine?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 08:22:45 am »
Water's boiling point is 212F, yet there is still water in the kettle after boiling for over an hour.  ;D

Chlorine is highly volatile at standard temperature and pressure.  In fact it prefers to be a gas.  But water, not so much.  Water has a high "heat of vaporization" at standard temperature and pressure, and can only evaporate up to 100% relative humidity near the kettle, beyond which it evaporates and recondenses at the same rate.  It would much rather be liquid water at standard temperature and pressure, but will reluctantly convert to vapor with a lot of energy.

Yes, chlorine (which is actually a very low concentration in the form of hypochlorite which degrades to form chlorine gas) will evaporate out of water to non-detectable levels at standard temperature and pressure if left overnight prior to brewing.

;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 08:59:24 am »
Karen,

Campden tablets react almost instantly with chlorine compounds.  There is no need to wait an hour.  A couple of minutes to make sure they are dissolved is all the time necessary.

Indeed. I crush my tablets to powder and throw the appropriate amount in the brewing liquor when it is heating up.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 10:02:12 am »
Karen,

Campden tablets react almost instantly with chlorine compounds.  There is no need to wait an hour.  A couple of minutes to make sure they are dissolved is all the time necessary.

Indeed. I crush my tablets to powder and throw the appropriate amount in the brewing liquor when it is heating up.

Thanks. I thought I had read that about Campden tablets, and I do the same (light burner, crush Campden, toss in...).
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 10:31:36 am »
Thanks for all the info!  Since I didn't have and campden tablets I just went with my usual routine, but I plan on picking up some tablets from the LHBS and giving them a try.

What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 05:03:09 am »
I tend to do the "belt and suspenders" thing with chlorine.  For convenience, I fill my pots and buckets the night before and crush and add campden just in case.  8^)

Having all the water standing ready in the morning saves me time and makes me think about the recipe the night before.  Sometimes it makes me realize I missed something on the shopping list.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 05:47:00 am »
I tend to do the "belt and suspenders" thing with chlorine.  For convenience, I fill my pots and buckets the night before and crush and add campden just in case.  8^)

Having all the water standing ready in the morning saves me time and makes me think about the recipe the night before.  Sometimes it makes me realize I missed something on the shopping list.

Paul
This is what I do as well.  Prep also includes measuring and crushing the malt, so all I have to do is turn on the burners in the morning.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 06:17:07 am »

Paul
This is what I do as well.  Prep also includes measuring and crushing the malt, so all I have to do is turn on the burners in the morning.
Set up equipment, weigh and crush grain, weigh and add water salts.

On addition, use a bucket heater on a timer so that the mash water is at/near strike temp. That way you can mash in first thing in the morning.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 06:39:06 am »

Paul

On addition, use a bucket heater on a timer so that the mash water is at/near strike temp. That way you can mash in first thing in the morning.
+1 The $40 bucket water heater on a timer is one of my favorite brewery upgrades. Wake up in the morning, grab a cup of joe, and mash in.
Mark Gres

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 08:01:26 am »

Paul

+1 The $40 bucket water heater on a timer is one of my favorite brewery upgrades. Wake up in the morning, grab a cup of joe, and mash in.

We are approaching brewing season.  Maybe its time for an upgrade... (ducks when SWMBO sees this post).
 ;D

Paul

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 08:44:41 pm »
Yoink! Fish on!
Brewing season?
Jan 1 - Dec 30?

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 04:48:17 am »
Brewing season for me tends to be after marching band season ends until just before the weather gets hot again.  It used to be based on ground water temp but now it is driven by my kids schedule.  I usually have more beer on hand than I can consume anyway so I don't need to brew all year.

Paul