Just to close the loop on my original post...
I put 2.6 gallons of the wheat ale on 3 lb of fresh peaches and 3/4 lb fresh apricots. I took the pits out of both, left skins on, chopped them, and froze them for a day or two before adding the beer. Racked off the fruit and bottled after 15 days. Fermentation seemed to have ceased, and there was some white mold growing on top of the peaches. (I racked carefully and tried not to disturb the fuzz!)
The result is better than I hoped for. The peach and apricot aroma is definitely there, and is more than subtle. I suspect most people would guess peach/apricot aroma without being told what's in the beer. The beer dried out more than expected...both the fruit half and non-fruit half of the batch ended up with a FG around 1.008. But this makes it a more refreshing beer IMO.
Things I'd do different next time:
I may or may not increase the fruit. If I do, it wouldn't be by much.
I'd remember to use some sort of filter on the racking cane (e.g., copper Chore Boy pad) to keep the fruit fragments out of the bottle.
I might consider some sort of fining or pectin. The fruit beer is way cloudy. Not a huge concern, but could be easy to solve.