Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brewing my first lager  (Read 1065 times)

Offline timcolussi

• 1st Kit
brewing my first lager
« on: August 02, 2013, 03:08:45 pm »
I'm looking into brewing my first lager and was wondering if there was any advantage to doing a single/double/triple decoction or just doing an infusion mash?

Tim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: brewing my first lager
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 03:12:32 pm »
I'm looking into brewing my first lager and was wondering if there was any advantage to doing a single/double/triple decoction or just doing an infusion mash?

Tim

Well, there are a lot of different kinds of lager, but in general I haven't found I've gained anything by doing a decoction or step infusion mash.  I currently have a German pils on tap made with a single infusion.  IMO, it's fantastic.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Re: brewing my first lager
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 03:15:06 pm »
I would not worry about a decoction unless you are doing a bock, dopple bock or bhemian pilsner using undermodified malt. A single infusion will be just fine.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout