Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My system needs pimping  (Read 8837 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: My system needs pimping
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 10:39:52 am »
And running the wort through hot is enough to sanitize a pump?  Or, how do you sanitize them?  Anyone use a "Chugger Pump"?  This is what my local guy has http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/the-1367/Chugger-Brew-Pump-with/Detail

I generally recirculate StarSan through it, then boiling wort, but a lot of people I know do only the boiling wort.  The 809 has a kinda tough time with it, but since I upgraded to the 815 impeller it works great.

Boiling water run through the pump should be adequate. I plan to start running boiling water through my chiller as well.
Ron Price

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 11:12:10 am »
And running the wort through hot is enough to sanitize a pump?  Or, how do you sanitize them?  Anyone use a "Chugger Pump"?  This is what my local guy has http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/the-1367/Chugger-Brew-Pump-with/Detail

I generally recirculate StarSan through it, then boiling wort, but a lot of people I know do only the boiling wort.  The 809 has a kinda tough time with it, but since I upgraded to the 815 impeller it works great.

Boiling water run through the pump should be adequate. I plan to start running boiling water through my chiller as well.

Or boiling wort. After I KO, I start recirculating wort before turning on water for the immersion chiller. I assume same goes for a plate/counterflow chiller.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 11:49:22 am »

I agree.  But until I did the impeller upgrade, the pump would cavitate if I ran boiling liquid through it.  So I developed the two stage strategy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »

I agree.  But until I did the impeller upgrade, the pump would cavitate if I ran boiling liquid through it.  So I developed the two stage strategy.
Andy Tveekrem at NHC recommended 'wet heat' sanitation. He said 180 for 20 minutes which is probably overkill, but...

An advantage he mentioned is that if there is a clump of something bad in your lines/equipment - Star San will sanitize the surface, but heat will penetrate the whole clump.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:32:23 pm by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 02:23:38 pm »

Andy Tveekrem at NHC recommended 'wet heat' sanitation. He said 180 for 20 minutes which is probably overkill, but...

An advantage he mentioned is that if there is a clump of something bad in your lines/equipment - Star San will sanitize the surface, but heat will penetrate the whole clump.

I bet not too much overkill. figure It has to heat the whole pump body/housing/impeller plus anything else you are trying to sanitize (chiller etc.) all the way to that 180 point. bet it would take at least 20 minutes.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 02:25:32 pm »

I bet not too much overkill. figure It has to heat the whole pump body/housing/impeller plus anything else you are trying to sanitize (chiller etc.) all the way to that 180 point. bet it would take at least 20 minutes.

Oh that's a good point.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 07:12:59 am »
Well, I made my first purchase along the road to pimphood by picking up a KAB6 burner.  I read in another thread that it was the same burner as the blichmann so I sent with that.  Was just going to get get the BA14 burner itself (no stand) but my turkey fryer is pretty well shot so I'm doing double duty with this.
I will still use the turkey fyer you see in the picture to heat sparge water until I get a second burner and install it permanently in the frame.  I'm thinking one free standing and one mounted should suffice (free standing only so I have the turkey option listed above - don't want to have to take the whole brew stand).

There is also a gas line in that garage.  Does anyone know if I have an attachment put in if the pressure on the house hold tank matters?  Basically is it any different than using a 20 lb?  I go through a lot of 20 lbs and I will likely start going through even more now.
Thanks

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 07:55:30 am »
Tank pressure in either case will be high, just run the gas through the correct regulator to get the service pressure needed. I guess there would be a regulator on the tank, so you should check what pressure that puts out. My KAB6 uses a 30psi regulator. My regular turkey fryer uses a 10psi regulator. The air intakes on that burner are huge, you'll need to close them significantly to get a good flame.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 12:35:15 pm »

I have run into the same thing. I just have to make sure its primed, and sometimes I have to cut back the valve after I first start and open it back up after I have good flow.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 01:33:27 pm »
Why don't you just run NEARLY boiling water through it.
AHA Member since 2006