My system needs pimping

<< < (5/5)

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on August 02, 2013, 01:23:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on August 02, 2013, 12:30:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: denny on August 02, 2013, 10:49:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: bluesman on August 02, 2013, 09:39:52 AM ---
--- Quote from: denny on August 02, 2013, 09:33:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: gmac on August 02, 2013, 08:56:38 AM ---And running the wort through hot is enough to sanitize a pump?  Or, how do you sanitize them?  Anyone use a "Chugger Pump"?  This is what my local guy has http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/the-1367/Chugger-Brew-Pump-with/Detail

--- End quote ---

I generally recirculate StarSan through it, then boiling wort, but a lot of people I know do only the boiling wort.  The 809 has a kinda tough time with it, but since I upgraded to the 815 impeller it works great.

--- End quote ---

Boiling water run through the pump should be adequate. I plan to start running boiling water through my chiller as well.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  But until I did the impeller upgrade, the pump would cavitate if I ran boiling liquid through it.  So I developed the two stage strategy.

--- End quote ---
Andy Tveekrem at NHC recommended 'wet heat' sanitation. He said 180 for 20 minutes which is probably overkill, but...

An advantage he mentioned is that if there is a clump of something bad in your lines/equipment - Star San will sanitize the surface, but heat will penetrate the whole clump.

--- End quote ---

I bet not too much overkill. figure It has to heat the whole pump body/housing/impeller plus anything else you are trying to sanitize (chiller etc.) all the way to that 180 point. bet it would take at least 20 minutes.

--- End quote ---

Oh that's a good point.

gmac:
Well, I made my first purchase along the road to pimphood by picking up a KAB6 burner.  I read in another thread that it was the same burner as the blichmann so I sent with that.  Was just going to get get the BA14 burner itself (no stand) but my turkey fryer is pretty well shot so I'm doing double duty with this.
I will still use the turkey fyer you see in the picture to heat sparge water until I get a second burner and install it permanently in the frame.  I'm thinking one free standing and one mounted should suffice (free standing only so I have the turkey option listed above - don't want to have to take the whole brew stand).

There is also a gas line in that garage.  Does anyone know if I have an attachment put in if the pressure on the house hold tank matters?  Basically is it any different than using a 20 lb?  I go through a lot of 20 lbs and I will likely start going through even more now.
Thanks

Jimmy K:
Tank pressure in either case will be high, just run the gas through the correct regulator to get the service pressure needed. I guess there would be a regulator on the tank, so you should check what pressure that puts out. My KAB6 uses a 30psi regulator. My regular turkey fryer uses a 10psi regulator. The air intakes on that burner are huge, you'll need to close them significantly to get a good flame.

kylekohlmorgen:

--- Quote from: denny on August 02, 2013, 10:49:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: bluesman on August 02, 2013, 09:39:52 AM ---
--- Quote from: denny on August 02, 2013, 09:33:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: gmac on August 02, 2013, 08:56:38 AM ---And running the wort through hot is enough to sanitize a pump?  Or, how do you sanitize them?  Anyone use a "Chugger Pump"?  This is what my local guy has http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/the-1367/Chugger-Brew-Pump-with/Detail

--- End quote ---

I generally recirculate StarSan through it, then boiling wort, but a lot of people I know do only the boiling wort.  The 809 has a kinda tough time with it, but since I upgraded to the 815 impeller it works great.

--- End quote ---

Boiling water run through the pump should be adequate. I plan to start running boiling water through my chiller as well.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  But until I did the impeller upgrade, the pump would cavitate if I ran boiling liquid through it.  So I developed the two stage strategy.

--- End quote ---

I have run into the same thing. I just have to make sure its primed, and sometimes I have to cut back the valve after I first start and open it back up after I have good flow.

Jimmy K:
Why don't you just run NEARLY boiling water through it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version