Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Community college brewing class.  (Read 1145 times)

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
Community college brewing class.
« on: August 02, 2013, 11:56:18 am »
Has anyone here taught a community brewing class before? I would like to propose something to my local college but I am not sure where to start.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Brian
mobrewer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Community college brewing class.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:34:24 pm »
I've done it at a public library and I'm about to teach one at a park district recreation center.  We'll be doing 2 sessions...one for the brewing and technical info and another about a month later for bottling.  Due to our great homebrew laws, all the participants in the class will bet beer to take home with them when it's done.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Community college brewing class.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:29:02 am »
I just pitched the idea to a couple CCs, one said they were conservative and didn't see it as a good fit, the other was happy to have the courses.  You want to contact the community ed department.  I pitched it as a beermaking and beer appreciation course with a local focus.  Its four sessions, first one is the simplest extract batch you can find, second is a fancier recipe, third week is all grain, and last week we tour the local microbrewery and taste/judge some beers.  I held the AG class at the local LHBS where we could also sample some homebrew.  No booze on the campus of course, you have to respect that rule.

I also teach a home winemaking class, I'm teaching it in the fall and brewing in the spring.  It was kind of too much to do both each semester and work too.  Also, don't expect a big turnout at first, I had three or four students the first year.  I figured it would get better if I went ahead and taught, and it has.  Had nine in the last brewing class.  I'm not doing this for the money of course, I've recruited several people for the brew club this way.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO