General Category > Equipment and Software

Pump disconnects

(1/8) > >>

denny:
I'm getting ready to spiff up my system and one of the first things I want to do is add quick disconnects to my pump, tubing, and kettles.  So, polysulfone, brass, or SS?  Good sources?

garyg:
It's about time you spent some money on that cheap 'n' easy brew system of yours!  ;)

I used to use the polysulfone quick disconnects, but I found they got brittle and started to break over time/usage.  Now I just use brass garden hose fittings with rubber gaskets for all of my connections.  Cheaper than brass or SS QDs and nearly as easy to use.

snowtiger87:
I use polysulfone QD's but if I weren't so far into them I would go with the stainless stell QD's.

oly:
I started with polysulfone, the ones with the springy-things in them to seal off when you disconnect so nothing spills out.  At first I loved them, but soon found that the springy things just serve to clog up with hop (even when using a false bottom) during whirlpooling. Major PITA.  Eventually I drilled out the springy things so it's a straight shot through, and this solved the clogging problem. But then the liquid will spill everywhere when you disconnect; to solve this I put a quarter-turn stopcock just upstream of the disconnect. It works great now. A little wonky with the stopcocks in there, but it works.  There's probably a better solution for disconnecting and stopping flow so I'm hoping to see other responses here. But overall the polysulfone are just fine. Just keep some keg lube handy for the O-rings.

thebigbaker:
I almost went with poly, but decided to spend the extra money and got stainless camlocks.  Easy to use and easy to clean and they should last for ever.  I was going to order them from http://www.bargainfittings.com/, but my LHBS had the for about the same price. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version