Author Topic: Pump disconnects  (Read 3284 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Re: Pump disconnects
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 08:23:01 PM »
Nice thing about the polysulphone (or however the hell you spell it) is they don't conduct heat like the stainless. dam the stainless get HOT - like, permanent scarring hot. The polysulphone do wear out eventually though.

Obviously you really should just bit the bullet and go tri-clamp for the upgrade. ;)
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 08:25:24 PM »
Nice thing about the polysulphone (or however the hell you spell it) is they don't conduct heat like the stainless. dam the stainless get HOT - like, permanent scarring hot. They do wear out after a while though.

Obviously you really should just bit the bullet and go tri-clamp for the upgrade. ;)

Dude, i'm trying to find a balance between something decent and the fact that I won't live long enough to really get the utility of top of the line stuff!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »
LOL! I really like the polysulphone QDCs. And don't die on me until I get to try that Wee Shroomy!!!! ;)
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline millstone

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 05:20:14 AM »
Don't forget about aluminum, I have been using aluminum camlocks for the past 3 years with great success. Got them from proflowdynamics.com.

good luck with your up-grade

tom

p.s. what's next, a new SS braid  : )
AJ says: 5.2 works great for brewers that don't check pH and doesn't work at all for those that do check.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 06:15:42 AM »
Whoa, those aluminum cam locks are a lot less expensive than the stainless.

Edit:  Millstone, I've heard that aluminum doesn't play well w/ hard cleaners, such as PBW, Oxiclean and Starsan.  Not sure if this is true or not, but have you had any issues using these cleaners with your aluminum cam locks?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:19:52 AM by thebigbaker »
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline jeffy

• Brewmaster General
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 06:44:24 AM »
One thing I had to do with the poly fittings was to remove the cross piece of plastic inside with a cutting tool so they flow better and don't get clogged. 
Spraying the o-ring with some water or sanitizer helps the male/female go together easier, but I've had to keep a bunch of o-rings on hand because they are fairly small rubber diameter and are a little fragile.
The fittings don't get hot, so there is an advantage there.
As I said earlier I prefer cam locks.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »
p.s. what's next, a new SS braid  : )

Hey. man, I'm not gonna go crazy with this!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »

Edit:  Millstone, I've heard that aluminum doesn't play well w/ hard cleaners, such as PBW, Oxiclean and Starsan.  Not sure if this is true or not, but have you had any issues using these cleaners with your aluminum cam locks?

Jeremy, you make a good point about aluminum and cleaners.  However, I rarely use cleaners in my hot-side equipment.  But I do use StarSan when prepping the system to chill wort.  I could imagine that the Al cam locks would eventually suffer more than the SST version.  Strong acids and caustics are rough on Al. 

I should echo a comment made previously.  I too, do not use cam lock connections on my suction side circuits.  I only use barbs and hose clamps since I'm fearful of tiny air leaks that might drive me crazy.  So far, I've been able to tighten up a hose clamp if I have a suction air leak, but there is little that I would be able to do if a cam lock coupling had a suction leak.  That is the one area that I gave up quick connects. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Offline millstone

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 05:01:16 AM »

I do use all three chemicals in my setup, I also have an aluminum 15 gal HLT and a 20 gal BK along with those aluminum camlocks. When the brew day finishes I pump either Oxi or PBW through all pots and lines, with camlocks attached, for about 30 minutes. I do not do long soaks, hours, with the chemicals. The camlocks don't show any deterioration or pitting, still has some of its shine, not that dull look like the inside of an aluminum pot. I did change out the rubber washer that came with them to silicone O rings from oringsandmore.com, nice fit and no leaks.

tom
AJ says: 5.2 works great for brewers that don't check pH and doesn't work at all for those that do check.

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 09:46:33 AM »
Nice thing about the polysulphone (or however the hell you spell it) is they don't conduct heat like the stainless. dam the stainless get HOT - like, permanent scarring hot. They do wear out after a while though.

Dude, i'm trying to find a balance between something decent and the fact that I won't live long enough to really get the utility of top of the line stuff!

I like my stainless camlocks and haven't had any issues with getting burned or anything. About my only complaint is they can be a little tricky to lock down, especially if the seal in the female ends is cold. The cam portion of the locks rubs metal to metal when you lock them down and I would image the aluminum version would suffer from galling over time. It's really nice having pre-terminated hoses like the pros use. Just soak in PBW or Starsan when necessary and go.

Think of the stainless you buy as heirloom quality goods. It's going to outlast all of us!
Growing Centennial, Columbus and Chinook hops.
Brewing IPA, APA, Dead Guy clone, and American Wheat most of the time.
Located in Three Rivers MI

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 09:51:41 AM »
Next question...do you use females on the kettle and tun and males on the hoses, or vice versa?  Edumacate me!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve in TX

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 10:08:59 AM »
Next question...do you use females on the kettle and tun and males on the hoses, or vice versa?  Edumacate me!

From what I have seen, people tended to use the female on the hose side and the male on the connector side. Basically treat the male like a hose barb.

Offline garyg

• Administrator
  • Brewer
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »

The female connectors tend to be more expensive, so put those where ever you will need the least of that type of connection.  In my case, I connect my pump to HLT, MT, kettle, immersion chiller whirl pool thingy (thanks Jamil!), so it makes more sense to put two female connectors on my pump hoses and male connectors everywhere else.
Gary Glass
American Homebrewers Association Director
Boulder, Colorado

Offline mtnrockhopper

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 10:30:17 AM »
I put male ends on kettles since the female side contains a rubber gasket and the cam levers that you must squeeze with your hand to lock it. I want both of those away from the flame.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline Steve in TX

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »

The female connectors tend to be more expensive, so put those where ever you will need the least of that type of connection.  In my case, I connect my pump to HLT, MT, kettle, immersion chiller whirl pool thingy (thanks Jamil!), so it makes more sense to put two female connectors on my pump hoses and male connectors everywhere else.

Smart!