Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Efficiency Problem  (Read 39484 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Mash Efficiency Problem
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2013, 02:46:20 pm »
+1 to slowly pouring into water and stirring.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2013, 03:49:40 pm »
+1 to slowly pouring into water and stirring.

Yep.  Exactly what I do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2013, 10:30:39 am »
I always preheat my mash tun, but I've never seen it as requiring much additional time or effort. I just heat my strike water an additional 6 or 8 degrees, dump it in my cooler/tun, and let it sit for a few minutes before dumping in the grain. Maybe five minutes or so for the added heating and five to let the tun warm up. No biggie, and I hit my mash temps consistently.

Any problem with dough balls?  You'll get the same results, with very few if any dough balls, if you have the grain in first and dump the hot water on top of it.  I don't mean to start arguments on this, but it has been my experience.  YMMV

I guess I shouldn't have said "dump in the grain"; I actually pour it in pretty carefully and stir it, either while pouring if I have an "assistant brewer" with me to help, or pour a bit, stir, pour a bit more if I'm solo. Never had any problems with dough balls (knock wood).

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2013, 11:21:11 am »
Nice thing about doing it the other way dumping the water into the grain is that you don't need to do it slowly, just dump it in and the stirring pretty much takes care of itself except maybe in the corners or beneath the Bazooka (or equivalent).  Probably shaves 2 minutes off my brew day.   ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2013, 09:07:27 am »
I may preheat just to see how that affects, Ive usually been heating my strike water about 12 degrees higher than temp needed.  Going to see if that can help, plus only going to stir grain at beginning and very end so as not to lose temp.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2013, 09:58:29 am »
Ahhh the old debate of adding grain to water or water to grain.... I do it together! I slowly add my grain to the water as it flows into the tun while stirring 3 or 4 times through the process... It's the best of both worlds!
Frank

Offline mripa

• 1st Kit
  • Beer
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2013, 06:48:16 pm »
I had a poor grain crush at the LHBS.
Resulted in an efficiency of 51% vs 69% what I usually get.
Defiantly going to double crush to see how high I can the efficiency.

Question:  My IPA that was supposed to be 7% ABV will now come in at 5%.
I will call it a Hoppy Pale Ale  :o.... Will the flavor of the beer be the same with lower efficiency? Just less alcohol flavor...

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2013, 07:21:23 pm »
Yes, it will still taste almost exactly the same but not as hot.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline mripa

• 1st Kit
  • Beer
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2013, 07:58:34 pm »
Glad to hear that.

I may not dry hop ... already has 7 oz hops in a 5 gallon batch.

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2013, 08:30:45 pm »
Do you double crush supporters add rice hulls?  Or do you think my mesh screen in my round mash tun should be fine to create a grain bed?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2013, 08:55:27 am »
Glad to hear that.

do dry hop. if you want a hoppy pale ale. The dry hopping is not going to add any additional bitterness just aroma and a little flavor.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2013, 09:05:57 am »
Do you double crush supporters add rice hulls?  Or do you think my mesh screen in my round mash tun should be fine to create a grain bed?

That depends on your system.  I crush very fine but I've never needed rice hulls. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2013, 09:26:23 am »
Glad to hear that.

do dry hop. if you want a hoppy pale ale. The dry hopping is not going to add any additional bitterness just aroma and a little flavor.

+1 absolutely dry hop it. IMO, there is a fine line between APA and IPA. If you're going to call it hoppy pale ale... Dry hop the poop out of it! So now you just have an IPA at lower ABV... You're just able to enjoy more in a sitting now  :P
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2013, 09:28:14 am »

I don't double crush, but I super crush my grains. I generally don't use rice hulls... Just when I'm mashing wheat or more than a couple pounds of flaked malts.
Frank

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2013, 10:32:19 am »

I have never used rice hulls. I won't say that I have never had a stuck runoff, I have for sure but I stir it up and re-vorlauf. Adds maybe 15 minutes to the brew day, 20 when I did an all wheat ale. I had to stir and restart that one about 3 times. gotta love the cheap and easy batch sparge system.

I have been brewing with 50%+/- flaked grain lately and I don't even get a stuck runoff every time. maybe every other time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce