General Category > Ingredients

Distilled v. RO water

<< < (2/3) > >>

narcout:

--- Quote from: mabrungard on August 04, 2013, 08:29:20 AM ---Ah, yes.  As I suspected, the mash and kettle pH are probably a little lower than desirable due to the lack of alkalinity. That extra tenth or two of pH depression can make the difference in the hop expression. 
--- End quote ---

Are you saying that a mash pH of 5.3 (measured at room temperature) is lower than desirable for an IPA?

If so, what would you recommend?

Is there a resource available that lists the optimal mash pH by style? 

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: narcout on August 04, 2013, 03:55:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: mabrungard on August 04, 2013, 08:29:20 AM ---Ah, yes.  As I suspected, the mash and kettle pH are probably a little lower than desirable due to the lack of alkalinity. That extra tenth or two of pH depression can make the difference in the hop expression. 
--- End quote ---

Are you saying that a mash pH of 5.3 (measured at room temperature) is lower than desirable for an IPA?

If so, what would you recommend?

Is there a resource available that lists the optimal mash pH by style?

--- End quote ---
i suggest you read the water knowledge page in Bru'nwater. Not every style is listed, but some guidelines are given.

mabrungard:
5.3 to 5.4 should be fine for an IPA.  But if the hops aren't coming through for you in a beer that you've brewed a couple of times, try bumping the mash pH by a tenth to see if the expression is improved.  I wouldn't go above 5.5 under any condition in a pale style.

narcout:

--- Quote from: mabrungard on August 04, 2013, 07:01:27 PM ---5.3 to 5.4 should be fine for an IPA.  But if the hops aren't coming through for you in a beer that you've brewed a couple of times, try bumping the mash pH by a tenth to see if the expression is improved.  I wouldn't go above 5.5 under any condition in a pale style.

--- End quote ---

Thanks.  Your spreadsheet, along with Kai's, has made it pretty easy for me to hit my desired mash pH, so I will definitely keep that in mind.

kylekohlmorgen:

--- Quote from: yso191 on August 03, 2013, 02:17:13 PM ---For perspective, the current Distilled water batch is VERY close to what I am looking for, but would like to bump the hop flavor a bit.  I can't help but think that nearly 12 ounces of flavor hops are sufficient though.  What am I missing in this?

--- End quote ---

Its not always the size of your hop charge that counts...

But seriously: When you're adding hops and how you're storing them are usually the two biggest factors in consistency drift.

When are your late hops added? Have you changed equipment that would change their total contact time with the wort (i.e. changed heat exchanger, whirlpool technique, or transfer process)? You're not done extracting hop compounds at KO, and your post-KO process plays a big role in what you get (or don't get) out of your late hop additions.

How about dry hops? When are you adding them? At what temp? What is the contact time like? Maybe instead of one 4 oz dry hop, you could split them into two additions (one at the end of primary, one in the keg).

How are your hops stored? Are you picking them up batch-wise from a LHBS/online store or ordering in bulk? Either way, how are they handled/stored from the time they arrive from the supplier to the time you use them? If you don't know - find out!

Also - What is your pitching rate like? Overpitching will reduce hop flavor/bitterness.

Water definitely has an impact on flavor in IPA, but with relatively consistent ion content, the above factors will be more significant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version